88 Bayliner Trophy 1710 - wet foam and ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
There was a member on here several years ago that built a Tarped enclosure outside up in Michigan. He then used 16" flexible Heat and air Ductwork and ran it into the shelter with a 80,000 BTU Torpedo heater sitting 10' outside the enclosure. He shot the heat throught the Ductwork into the enclosure and worked on the boat all through the winter. It worked so well that the snow would melt off the top of the tarp. He could get the inside up to 80 degrees when it was in the teens outside. One of the other guys took his idea and built an adapter for his garage door so he could raise it up 16 inches and then set the adapter under it and the put the Ductwork on and shoot the heat in with the heater sitting out in the drive way That way there was no open flames inside the garage. It worked great!!! It was only a 5000 btu heater and he had to shut it off after 30 minutes cuz it got to hot inside the insulated garage!!!! He made the adapter out of HardBoard for under 20 bucks. Ductwork I think was $50 -60 bucks.

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I started keeping my resin in the house so that it stays warm, that way all I have to do is warm the shop up. Like tpenfield said, if you plan your work around warmer days it takes way less energy to keep the work space warm.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Like OOPS used to say. Resin is Stupid It don't know it's cold outside!!! You can "Trick" it by keeping it warm anyway you can. A Pan of Really warm water to set your Plastic container of Resin in will work nicely too!!!!:D

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Been really busy with work past couple weeks, and the weather has been quite cold, so haven't done anything in a while.

Today it got up to freezing, so I finished off the tabbing on the other side. Went quite well, and only took me about 3 hours this time. Some of the comments earlier got me thinking, and so I tarped over the hull and left an electric heater in there. My dad has been sending me hourly temperature reports, seems like it has been keeping it up around 20c. Woodstove was left damped down, so it will continue for a few hours. Will be interesting to see what the temp is in the morning.

Will post photos in the morning, hopefully.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
I should add that at this point I am not quite halfway through my 5 gallon resin + 1 gallon hardener. That's the transom and the two primary stringers bedded, and tabbed with three layers of 12oz biaxial, and the transom fully glassed over with three layers of 1708.

fisheymikey

Chief Petty Officer
PICS PLS......

im glad to hear your continuing with the project even with our crazy winter. i cant recall last time we have such drastic ups and down. -36 then+2

thats insane. lets hope the worst is over.

mike

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Some photos... not the best as my photographer was not fully awake :)

sean%2Bboat%2B19.jpg

sean%2Bboat%2B18.jpg

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Is everything "Kickin and Curin" OK???

Yep, no problems so far. Up to now I have been working at about 15 - 20 degrees celsius, leaving the wood stove fully loaded and damped down, and that holds the shop between 15-10 degrees until morning. Everything is set in the morning when dad checks in, and rock hard when get there there a day or two later. That's with an outside temperature around freezing.

But it has been a lot colder lately, so I tried some of the ideas mentioned above to see. The little heater plus the tarps keeps the boat about 5-8 degrees C warmer than the outside shop, which isn't bad. It means I can work when it's colder than I normally can get away with. If the wind isn't blowing from the south (the exposed side of the shop) I think I could work down to about -10C outside.

The E.A.S.T. System epoxy I use from Tritex in Quebec does not call for post curing, but I might see if I can get it up to 40C with a couple heaters anyway.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's really good to hear. Tenting the work area in the boat really helps and as long as the work surface is up to temp and the resin is too then everything so be good to go. Oklahoma has had some really cold weather lately but...the last 3 days were AWESOME!!! 65 degrees Fahrenheit and NO WIND. We set Records!!! I been makin a LOT of sawdust in my shop!!! I'm sure it won't last much longer!!

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That's gonna be The toughest Bayliner hull ever!

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, back in black.

After a bitterly cold winter, spring has sprung and it's warm enough to start work again. Today I glued the "junior stringers" in place:

IMG_20150322_135347.jpg

IMG_20150322_135329.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Next steps will be to glass them over, and then put the bulkheads in place. Dad plans to make the bulkheads this week so if all goes well I should have those tasks done by next weekend.

Meanwhile, in my garage, I have been looking at the console:

IMG_2496.JPG

It's going to get painted white, that much I have decided. Not really happy with the cabinet doors that swing out. They are a PITA to open under way to get at stuff, and they constantly open on their own. Thinking about replacing them with something like this:

9_-CENTER-CONSOLE-DROP-IN-R.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Coming along great, wish mine was, but there isn't many things worst then a bad latch on a boat. The doors your looking at would be a good addition.

WOG posted a good link where the guy used Gelcoat and painted it on a console and it came out real nice. Don't know if your going to go paint or gel

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
WOG posted a good link where the guy used Gelcoat and painted it on a console and it came out real nice. Don't know if your going to go paint or gel

Was thinking paint... I've never been very good with a spray gun, and at the end of the day this is a fishing boat.

alldodge

Staff member
Was thinking paint... I've never been very good with a spray gun, and at the end of the day this is a fishing boat.

No, you can paint gelcoat on with a paint brush and it comes out as smooth as paint, no spray. Either way its fine just providing options

Last edited:

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Dad just emailed me this photo. He removed the supports, says the setup is good. Tomorrow night I guess I'll be glassing.

2015-03-23.jpg

Yarney

Seaman Apprentice
Permission to come aboard.. It's been great following your progress. I just picked up an 83 Bayliner Cuddy, that I'm going to be refurbing so Im so glad your thread is underway and moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.