88 Bayliner Trophy 1710 - wet foam and ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraddockCreek

Recruit
New member (as of yesterday). I have an 87 Bayliner trophy cc and I just bought a MK terrova 60 shaft TM. I have assumed that I'd need to remove the bow rails, but it looks like you were able to mount yours so that you could keep them. Can you post some additional photos of the temporary mount? I've been struggling with how to mount the bracket given that the nose of the boat slopes off so much. Also, what do you plan to do with your bow navigation lights? I have not been able to think of a way to avoid them being blocked by the motor when it is stowed.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
I have an 87 Bayliner trophy cc and I just bought a MK terrova 60 shaft TM. I have assumed that I'd need to remove the bow rails, but it looks like you were able to mount yours so that you could keep them. Can you post some additional photos of the temporary mount? I've been struggling with how to mount the bracket given that the nose of the boat slopes off so much.

Welcome!

I took some shots from different angles and put them in an album here.

Again, this is the prototype. It works, but it's incredibly ugly and it flexes a bit. It's just cheap 1/2" exterior plywood I had kicking around.

I'm working on the final product, which is essentially the same, but using 1/2" baltic birch (much stiffer) with 2 layers of 1208 + epoxy on each side to stiffen it up more and provide a smooth finish after it goes through the drum sander. The bottom of the T will be two layers of birch epoxied, filleted, and glassed to the top.

To make a seamless mating surface at the front, I plan to lay a piece of poly sheet (vapour barrier) on the front of the boat.

I'll mix up a batch of fairly dry hairy PB (epoxy+woodflour+cut up fiberglass), and spread it rather thick on the plastic where the mount meets the boat.

Then I'll put the mount in place, and use a spreader to make it as neat as possible. As it all sets up, I'll use various sanders to clean it up, and then gelcoat it white.

I'm going to use a piece of SS or aluminium 1" tubing to slide over the cut part to hide it.

Also, what do you plan to do with your bow navigation lights? I have not been able to think of a way to avoid them being blocked by the motor when it is stowed.

Bought a removable bow light and mount, but I haven't yet figured out exactly where it will go. Trouble is the light turns out to be exactly the same height as the bow rail :(

I don't think I'm going to be able to have the motor mounted and use the bow light at the same time, but I don't think that should be a problem as I don't boat at night, just want them for safety. I can remove the trolling motor from the quick release if I need to. But maybe I'll figure out something.

Hope this helps.

CraddockCreek

Recruit
Thanks for posting the pics. Last night I spent some time trying to come up with a plan. The boat had a cleat mounted in the center of the bow area (about 8 inches rear of the nav lights and centered). I removed it because it will interfere with whatever I do. I'd like to use those same holes to mount the bracket, but I'm not sure that will work as its too far back from the tip. I might be able to use them for a temporary bracket while I learn more about how to do this stuff.

As to the nav lights, I found a number of sites that discuss LED nav lights mounted in the rub rail. Not sure how I feel about drilling though at the joint of the hull and deck. They'd certainly be out of the way in terms of the trolling motor whether its stowed or deployed. At least an idea I thought I'd share. Here's one of the sites: http://tacomarine.com/product/F38-6600/Rub-Rail-Mounted-LED-Navigation-Lights-for-up-to-30ft-boats Let me know if you think its a terrible idea.

Thanks again for posting the pics. I've learned a lot about the construction of my boat by looking at how you took yours apart and put back together.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
I love those rub rail lights, but they look like vapourware.... no pricing or ordering info. Also, no idea whether they'd fit my rub rail. Could be fun wiring them up too....

But i would not worry about drilling at the seam.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You can find those rural lights on evilbay. Not really spendy, and look kinda cool.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Been too busy fishing and camping to do much to the boat, but I did find a piece of 1" aluminium tube that fits perfectly over my bow rail cut. Right now it's held in place just be friction, but over time that will loosen up and I'll need a couple retaining pins. It slides over the long part when I want to use the trolling motor, but otherwise looks like this:

SzXNFFRj5ug4FzIxDSEveftzRYeg70radWvSHDoId_g=w1268-h951-no

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd say that's about as good as it gets. A little sanding and polishing with Mothers Mag and you'd barely notice it was there!!!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.