1981 Bellboy Bandit Saga

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ahoy! Everyone. My name is Scott. My Father and I recently purchased a 17' 1981 Bellboy last weekend on 08/02/2015 for less than $700. Our family loves to fish and go out any chance we get, safe to say we are a bunch of fishing fanatics. We have always wanted a larger boat to get us to new waters for fishing. Currently we own a 13' Klamath w/ 9.9hp Evinrude, Alumaweld Drift boat and Flatbottom Sled. This is our first ever fiberglass boat and first boat that will get us out on the bays and the Columbia River here in the PNW.

Now for a little history on our purchase. I found it on the almighty "Craigslist" one evening after returning home from a 7 hour drive from Seattle, Wa on the notion of a boat being "restored/rebuilt" with new wood transom, floor and fiberglass. Long story short- the transom was dry-rot and the boat was not what we were looking for. Upon our return home and a few shots of JB. I sat down with my laptop and began to browse CL yet again, a few minutes later I found this:

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here is what I found. A Beautiful 1981 Bellboy 1700 o/b (to me anyways). I have been very fond of these boats, and shouldn't say this is my first fiberglass boat, but it is my first outboard style fiberglass boat. I previously owned a 1974 Bellboy 1800 i/o. Anyways here is the newer addition to our family.

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

Attachments

• photo227646.JPG
    photo227646.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo227647.JPG
    photo227647.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the deal with the boat is, it needs the transom and floor glassed in and the motor mounted. It was the guy's parents boat up until they passed away. He used the boat often, until recently. He found dry rot in the floor and transom, he then sold it to his friend who planned on fixing the boat. His wife decided they did not need a boat and wanted him to sell it. So he ended up selling it back to his friend, which they then both started to rip out all the old wood and start skinning the transom of all rot. A few months ago, they gave up on the project and decided it was time for it to go. The Transom wood used is 1.5" Okoume (solid sheet) not 2 or 3 pieces laminated together, the floor is HDO. All from Olympic Panel here in the PNW. The motor runs (I have a service receipts for October of 2014) trailer had all steel parts recently replaced with galvanized and/or aluminum parts ready for salt water. Their plan was to use it for crabbing once up and running. I am technically the second owner because I don't count his friend, he never used the boat. I have the original bill of sale for the boat, trailer and where it was purchased here in Oregon along with the retail tag that came with the Evinrude 115hp. As well all receipts on services and replaced parts from 1981-2014. The stringers in these type of boats are 100% fiberglass with foam injected into them. Same way on the Banshees, I believe. The company AMI was far ahead of the game with their patented WEBCOR design. "No wood stringers, No rot". I will post pictures of the motor next.

Here are a few pictures of how far they came before the towel was thrown in:

IMG_1538.png

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

Last edited:

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The Motor: 1979 Evinrude 115hp w/ Power tilt&trim. Which I believe was added a few years after the PO bought it. The motor was serviced nearly a year ago, but more for a simple maintenance check. I already purchased new Thermostats and Waterpump kit off Evinrude BRP.

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

Here are the controls, but the tilt trim switch is located right in front of the CG plate. Anyone know how I can mount the switch on the thumb?
IMG_1577.jpg

Next was to get this beast out of my truck's bed. The stand we quickly made out of scrap wood and caster wheels from an old Car Creeper I butchered.

IMG_1622.jpg

My brother and our family friend Darrel :). The stand held the weight and nobody was crushed. Good deal!
IMG_1624.jpg

The motor packed into my tiny garage with 4 dirtbikes, caferacer project, 2 quads and now 4 outboards....
IMG_1625.jpg

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is the Sales brochure that came with my 74' Bellboy. It is 5 pages of all there 70's models, options and styles. I can post the whole brochure in the corresponding thread if anyone would like to see.

Just a little information on the "WebCor" design.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well the good news is, It you don't have to worry about rotten wood stringers. Are you using Poly or Epoxy. The Resin Coating on the HDO is kinda tricky getting Poly to adhere to it unless you sand and prep it really well. Even with epoxy it needs to be prepped. That should be a Great Boat once she's all restored!!!

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well the good news is, It you don't have to worry about rotten wood stringers. Are you using Poly or Epoxy. The Resin Coating on the HDO is kinda tricky getting Poly to adhere to it unless you sand and prep it really well. Even with epoxy it needs to be prepped. That should be a Great Boat once she's all restored!!!

Thanks guys, I hope my family and I can enjoy many seasons with this boat. I am excited to share this project here with you all. I really don't know. We have a boat marine and fabrication shop doing all the work. I am a long haul truck driver, I have no time to do it myself unfortunately. All the other work that the boat will need is being done by me. Like Interior and motor work. Smaller glass work as well and miscellaneous gel coats repairs.

Currently I am struggling with my Lower unit as we speak. I took a break before I grabbed the 10lbs sledge. :frusty::frusty: I disconnected the shift-shaft. (bolt underneath the carburetors) along with all bolts holding the lower unit. It still will not budge. I also have removed all the Teak wood off of the boat before it went to the marine shop. It is being oiled and the top coat I am using is Minwax oil based Satin. I'll post a few pictures here later tonight. - cheers

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you remove the trim tab and the bolt under it???

Yes, and it does not want to budge at all...Could it be corrosion? I think I am going to gently tap on it with my rubber mallet. I hit it with some Zep to try and break it loose. Like the White Snake song: Here I go Again... Appreciate the response Wood! :joyous:

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A few taps and some jostling, it slid down. I am working to do a small write-up on the procedure. After removing it I found a problem....:blue:

I am fairly certain this, definitely should not be like this..:facepalm: Guess I'll just add it to the list to order from Evinrude BRP.

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like it will be a good project. Can't wait to see the finished product.

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After I got the boat I immediately stripped All the Teak off the boat and began to sand it with 220 grit. It had the typical ash grey look to it, before I removed it. Once I oil the Teak and it fully cures I will go over it with a coat of MinWax Clear Satin oil based polyurethane. Here is where I am so far with all of it. Still have a few piece to sand and oil, along with a center console to refurbish.

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

Next I sanded the pieces with a 220grit 3M sponge block. Cleaned it with soap and scotch-brite pad, then hit it with the first coats of oil. I went 3 coats on all them.

IMG_1604.jpg

The bow Teak, the far Left piece is wet, not oiled. I had just finished scrubbing it.
IMG_1627.jpg

Now for the First Coats of Oil.
IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

I had to borrow my daughters playskool table LOL! Was running out places to lay this stuff.
IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

The Swim Ladder didn't look bad at all, I mainly just used the scotchbrite pad on it.
IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
More pieces that didn't upload on the previous post, and the hideous orange center console..Which will be recovered shortly, and hit with some polyurethane to protect the wood.

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

Fugly center console...
IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

Also do we have a For Sale section? I thought I saw a post somewhere saying "Sales Prohibited" Because I have this WhiteAnchor.........:disturbed:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
More pieces that didn't upload on the previous post, and the hideous orange center console..Which will be recovered shortly, and hit with some polyurethane to protect the wood.

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

Fugly center console...
IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

Also do we have a For Sale section? I thought I saw a post somewhere saying "Sales Prohibited" Because I have this WhiteAnchor.........:disturbed:

Nope, no sales section, in fact your last message could be considered a for sale posting, if you have a boat to sell, they do have a section for paid advertisements, but not in the general forums.

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
10/4. I didn't mean it, hope the mods don't smite me now. :facepalm: I would edit the post, but it looks like I cannot..

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You'll prolly want to use Spar Varnish on the Teak instead of Poly. Spar has a LOT of UV protectant in it which is needed in the Marine environment.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Very Interesting info on the stringers. I have a 77 Bellboy , basically the same look as yours but an inboard. Seats, dash , bow ,teak , its all the same. But my boat has wooden stringers.

I am looking forward to watching this baby get rebuilt.

Could you do me a huge favor ? post a pic of your capacity plate next time you are out working on it. Mine is missing in action and I am going to have to have one made but cant get any info.

Good luck with the project !

Last edited:

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You'll prolly want to use Spar Varnish on the Teak instead of Poly. Spar has a LOT of UV protectant in it which is needed in the Marine environment.

Thank you! I was just informed of this as well. Its Varathane Spar w/ UV proctectant oil based (i'll post a picture of what I bought later tonight.) I had the Minwax from a past project, and thought it might work. Glad I didn't apply it to my teak yet.

Thanks everyone for the comments! Appreciate it. REDRIG, I will certainly take a picture when the boat comes back. Also do you know for certain it has wood stringers? My 1972 Bellboy i/o had fiberglass stringers. The brochure listed above has your year and make, with the WEBCOR. AMI-American Marine Industries only had glass stringers. It was their patent and design. They started making boats for the Military for Mine-sweeping in WWII, Korea, and were said to be one of the first companies to make fiberglass boats. Please post some pictures of your boat, I would love to see it! Would be very interesting to see wood stringers in these boats.

Here is my old 1972 BellBoy i/o. It had Fiberglass stringers, the only wood was the engine mounts. This is when I first bought it, its maiden voyage. And Before it was plagued by cancerous rot....

img20110430175123.jpg

img1049xb.jpg

And the Crippling rot, that made me get rid of her. After replacing the 5 ply floor once, it was enough for me. As well the Many issues I had with the White Anchor, a re-power was too rich for my blood. I loved the boat, but never ever was fond of the i/o setup.

image.jpg

Last edited: