Zodiac Cadet Valve Problem

Mlmg

Cadet
Just purchased a 2011 Zodiac cadet 340 . I am now trying to inflate the boat and am running into a problem where the air nozzle keeps popping out of the valve. I am can't be near maximum psi (3.4) b/c the boat is still wrinkled. I have a manometer but I need to this inflation problem ironed out...

Are these valves supposed to have a "friction" hold? Or am I missing a part where the adapter from the air hose locks into the valve?

Mlmg

Cadet
Re: Zodiac Cadet Valve Problem

Thank you Syzygy, I appreciate your reply. ... I am using that fitting, but it does not stay in the valve,,it keeps popping out on me.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you Syzygy, I appreciate your reply. ... I am using that fitting, but it does not stay in the valve,,it keeps popping out on me.

On my Zodiac I made an adapter from 3/4" O.D. clear tubing from Tractor Supply. I think the I.D. is 5/8". I cut a 4-6" length of tube. Beveled the edge of the end that goes into the tube valve. This homemade adapter fits snuggly on the hose from the pump and fits inside the valve perfectly and stays in place while pumping. I have no problem inflating the tubes on my boat with this setup.

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an older European ones so not sure it's the same but I need to push in the centre of the valve and give it a quarter of a turn to lock it before inflating if it's the same I get the hose popping off sometimes if it's not locked down fully.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

I have an older European ones so not sure it's the same but I need to push in the centre of the valve and give it a quarter of a turn to lock it before inflating if it's the same I get the hose popping off sometimes if it's not locked down fully.

I don't know if my valves are the same as yours. However, mine also have the center button. This is only used for deflating the tubes. Pushing the button in holds the valve in the open position. Push it again and the valve closes. The mechanism of the valve rotates when the button is pushed.

When pumping up the tubes, the valves are left in the closed position. The force of the incoming air from the foot pump pushes the valve plunger in to admit the air. When the pump stroke stops the spring recloses the valve. If the hose comes off, the valve closes immediately and no air is lost.

The only issue is that if the valves have not been used for some time, they stick and the incoming air will not unseat them to let air in from the pump. The valve then needs to be activated a couple times manually to loosen them up.

Mlmg

Cadet

On my Zodiac I made an adapter from 3/4" O.D. clear tubing from Tractor Supply. I think the I.D. is 5/8". I cut a 4-6" length of tube. Beveled the edge of the end that goes into the tube valve. This homemade adapter fits snuggly on the hose from the pump and fits inside the valve perfectly and stays in place while pumping. I have no problem inflating the tubes on my boat with this setup.

Thanks ssobol,,,I will give this a shot. Also thanks for the explanation on how valves work...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Zodiac Cadet air valves which has central diaphragm has nothing to do with Halkey Roberts valves that has spring central pin and are used on most other brands sibs...

Used to have a Zodiac Cadet and don't remember ever needed to use the plastic adapter to inflate sib, the hose connector was connected directly onto valve and never popped out while inflating to reach 3.0 psi.

Happy Boating