Zert vs Buddy Bearing

mwhitten

Seaman Apprentice
I have had buddy bearings in the past. Help me understand how zert spindle works. I am in the process of getting parts to redo both axles.

Michael

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Zert vs Buddy Bearing

Michael, I'm not sure what a "zert spindle" is! Can you post a link so we can all get on the same page?

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you're talking about the EZ lube axle by Dexter Axle Company.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/e_z_lube_system

I've always called it a zerk fitting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_fitting

In my case, I successfully installed bearing buddys by removing the original dust cap and zerk fitting. My rational was the Bearing Buddy would keep some positive pressure against water intrusion. Been great so far.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

E-Z Lube allows you to 'repack' your bearings, with fresh grease, without disassembly.

You simply pump in the new grease, until the old (usually discolored) exits around the zerk fitting.

It isn't possible to go from Bearing Buddys to E-Z Lube...since the axle is factory drilled for the E-Z Lube system.

reelfishin

Captain

Although I've never seen a failure, I've never liked the idea of the EZ-Lube or Spindle-Lube axles. I just have always felt safer with a solid axle.
I do like the simplicity of the EZ-Lube style axle but a bearing buddy is a bit easier to service at the ramp. I like to give the bearings a shot of fresh grease after pulling the boat just to make sure there's no water inside for the trim home, on a spindle lube, you have to fuss with the rubber plug in the dust cap, where as with a Bearing buddy you only have to remove a slip over vinyl dust cap. Each system has it's benefits and drawbacks I guess.
I have one older trailer that just has grease fittings in the dust cap itself, no bearing buddy or other system. To much grease on that one will push off the dust cap if you over do it.

mwhitten

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, it is a Dexter Axle set up. You have answered a lot of my questions. I will be pushing out the old greese tonight. How do I know what is full or when to stop? To keep the dust cover from coming off should I remove some of the greese between the cover and the outer bearing. It has been my experiance that greese will expand when heated during travel. Any tips on adjusting surge breaks while I have it on blocks?

Michael

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just keep pumping new grease in until all the old grease
is pushed out, wipe off the excess and put the rubber cap back on. I do this after every launch. Once a year I pull the hubs and inspect the bearings. At the same time inspect and lube the brakes and adjusters.

To adjust rotate the drum while tightening the shoes with the star wheel. When you can't turn the drum any more than back off the star wheel 8-10 clicks.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Adjust-RV-Trailer-Brakes&id=450898

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I leave the dust cap on and just remove the rubber plug to access the zerk.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, it is a Dexter Axle set up. You have answered a lot of my questions. I will be pushing out the old greese tonight. How do I know what is full or when to stop? To keep the dust cover from coming off should I remove some of the greese between the cover and the outer bearing. It has been my experiance that greese will expand when heated during travel. Any tips on adjusting surge breaks while I have it on blocks?

Michael

Most of us just 'hang' a plastic shopping bag around the hub...and pump until we see a decent amount of 'new' grease. Then, we use our finger to scoop out a small amount of grease, to allow for any expansion during trailering!

And "yes"...to doing all of this with the metal end cap in place, and the rubber seal removed.

As for rebuilding this system...keep in mind that the proper seal, is a double lipped seal...that can handle the pressure of lubing, without 'blowing' out.