Zebra Mussles

JCH57

Cadet
Just a quick question. Am planning a cruse on the Ohio River this fall, and was wondering if anyone has had trouble with Zebra Mussles. I've read reports that they are present in the Ohio, just don't want to get my cooling system plugged up with them. Of course they might not reproduce with no water in the motor when trailerd, or stored. Thanks.

smitty28

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Zebra Mussles

I wouldnt worry about it. The zebea mussels are 2" thick on bottom in the lakes around here and never had any issues or even heard of any. Theyre all on bottom

JCH57

Cadet

Thanks Smitty. Thought they wern't a problem. They sure played heck with water intakes on Lake Erie though at water plants. Thanks again.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

They're only an issue if you leave the outdrive in the water for an extended period of time without running the motor.
They get in while they're small and grow, plugging the water flow.
If the motor is started up regularly they don't get a chance to grow. They will grow on the outdrive casing and hull however, if left unchecked.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I've never seen or heard about them in the Ohio river.... I'm on the river every weekend.

dirtdiver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ZebraMussels.jpg

There ya go, I got ya ;)

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

ZebraMussels.jpg

There ya go, I got ya ;)

Did those come from the Ohio? I never have seen them in my area. I locked thru the John T Myers Dam yesterday and was looking on the walls for them, I figured if they are around, they would be on the dammed walls. :D

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

We have them here. I have NEVER seen them on my boat. but the DNR offers two things when you pull out of the lakes. they will either tag you and ask you not put in for 14 days, or they will hot pressure wash your entire boat and the back half of your tow vehicle.