Your thoughts on this Starter/Project Boat

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Everyone, Firstly, I thank all of you for all the terrific information posted in all the various forums. I have been reading through the boating forums for a long time now, and been dreaming about owning a boat for even longer. Finally an opportunity has come my way and I would like to get your opinions, what to look out for, warnings, etc...
I have an opportunity to get a "free" boat from my wife?s family. The boat, according to my research, is a 1976 Glasstron T-156/158 Tri hull with a Mercury 850 Thunderbolt. Of course I understand that nothing is truly free and expect to pay for titling fees, license, insurance, etc... But, the idea is taking this boat on as a winter project, clean her up a bit, tune up the motor, Poli glow the hull, and be out on the water by spring. The boat and trailer were purchased new in 76' and have lived in Arizona then Las Vegas for the past 30+ years. I know it was out on the water and trailered from Phoenix to Las Vegas last year. I?m told the motor pull started but does need a new starter. My wife looked her over and said that she felt no soft spots on the floor, saw no damage on the transom, and it looked pretty oxidized but other than that it?s ok. I haven't personally seen the boat yet and wont see it until I get out to Vegas the end of this year. I do have a lot of pictures and will post those here as soon as I figure out how to.

I?ve been reading a lot about your guy?s restoration projects, info on trailers, Mercury Motors, etc? and I figure the first obstacle is to get the trailer up to snuff. I will be pulling the boat from Vegas, to Phoenix, to Chicago the end of this year.

I?m thinking that at the very least I?ll be putting on new hub assemblies. I opted for the assembly as I have only 2-3 Days to get this boat ready to travel once I get to Vegas and it really seems like the extra $40 or so is worth it not to have to pound out bearings, repack them, install them, etc? Here is the link to the hubs I?m looking at using, what do you think?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=27601&aID=608A&cID=FROOGLE_27601

In addition to the hubs being replaced I?m looking at adding a spare tire, buying a new trailer light kit, buying a receiver for my factory hitch (I?m driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi/It?ll pull it for sure), and locking ball/receiver pin/trailer ball/etc?, I got the 4point pin adaptor for the trailer lights. Anything I?m missing or should think about?

Also, I am afraid to spend the $100?s of dollars on a decent boat cover just to have it destroyed by the time I get back from the 2000 mile trip. My idea is to use the commercial shrink wrap material from the shipping dock at work (the clear stuff they shrink all the boxes on pallets with) and wrap her up really well from top down to the trailer rollers. Then I'll purchase a cover later for trailering her to and from come summer, using a heavy duty tarp during the restoration process in the indoor (some guys barn) storage.

So what do you guys think? Am I crazy to think about doing this? As soon as I figure out how to I'll add some pictures of her so you can take a look. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again!

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Your thoughts on this Starter/Project Boat

I think maybe I figured out how to add some pictures. Here it goes...

Attachments

• IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 0

jt185

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked at a boat just like that in August. It needed stringers and transom replaced as well as the rotten floor under the one that was put on top. I assume you've checked all that out.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You have the right idea by conctrating on the trailer. You can't go wrong by replacing the bearings, you should consider new tires if the present ones are a all suspect. I believe there is a date stamp on them to find out how old they are. Rewire the lights and you should be good to go!

Good Luck!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It all comes down to if it's rotted or not. Assuming no rot, it would be a great first boat. If it is rotted, it will be a major project. I would not spend the money on all new hub assemblies unless it really needs it. I'd find a local (to the boat) trailer or RV shop and have them inspect and pack the bearings for you. I paid $60 for this last season and the peace of mind it provided was priceless. As far as a cover goes, that boat has clearly sat out for a while. The time spent being towed by you is a drop in the bucket. I'd just tow it "naked" and then buy an inexpensive cover for it for when you get home. Believe it or not, I got like 3 years or more out of a $40 Wal-Mart cover and it kept my boat nice and dry. I have not yet successfully trailered with a cover on. Even tied down really tght, it still ballooned up and flapped like crazy. I think you really need a custom cover in order to trailer with it on and that would cost too much for that boat. Good luck with it and we're glad to have you aboard and posting.

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not a fan of the oil bath hubs. One of my pontoon trailer vendors used them as standard issue for a brief period of time. All, but a few, had leaking seals and/or broken plastic caps. Warrantee repair was to install greaser hubs. Go figure.

Sure, Ranger Trail and the big over the road rigs use oil bath. But they were designed, from the ground up, to do that. Not a retro fit.

When the plastic cap breaks, all of the oil will run out. Hopefully it doesn't happen shortly after you've just filled up with gas. The bearing will fry long before your next stop.

On greaser hubs, the grease cap is really a duct cap. Doesn?t really hold the grease in; just keeps the dust/water out. I've seen trailers (not boat trailers) go a long time with duct tape dust covers.

The trailer has greasers now. I'd stay with them. Just food for thought.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the information guys! I have not seen the boat in person yet, will survey it in person when I visit end of this year. Thanks for the tip on the trailer shop too! Here is another pic of what she looked like in her glory days.

Attachments

• Glastron T-152 T-156.jpg
    Glastron T-152 T-156.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 0

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had a couple older Glasstrons. I have always liked them. Fun little boats. Here is what I would do. Trailer the boat naked. I would not worry to much about the hubs just make sure you have the tools in your jeep if you need to replace them. I had to replace a hub on mine and you can find them at most auto store for about $40. These are very easy to replace with just basic tools. Also my guess is that the hubs have been replaced at some point. From the looks it appears that they are 5 lug and the originals where probably 4 lug. If you do change them go with 5 lugs since you can get a 5 lug wheel and tire ar walmart for like $30. It is cheaper to buy a 5 lug wheel and tire than it is just replacing a tire on your own wheel. I would go ahead and buy a spare tire since they are cheap. Don't go overboard with buying new lights, wires etc until you can confirm they don't work. As the saying goes if it aint broke then don't fix it. For all you know the tires, hubs and lights may be in great shape. All the parts you mentioned can be found cheap and easily at any big box auto store.

Willyclay

Captain

My first boat was a 1970 Glastron V-153 and it served our family well for many years. You might get lucky since the boat has been in the SW for 30 years and it may not have any rot. As for advice regarding your long tow back to Chicago, I carry a separate jack just for the trailer and also a two-foot long piece of 2by12inch lumber for a jack pad in case the shoulder of the highway is soft; BTDT. Good luck with your trip and project!

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

i own the Kodiak stainless disc brake setup ,with stainless calipers and love it . its oil bath. im not fond of turbo lube hubs though

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

My first boat was a 1970 Glastron V-153 and it served our family well for many years. You might get lucky since the boat has been in the SW for 30 years and it may not have any rot. As for advice regarding your long tow back to Chicago, I carry a separate jack just for the trailer and also a two-foot long piece of 2by12inch lumber for a jack pad in case the shoulder of the highway is soft; BTDT. Good luck with your trip and project!
I have always kept a nice but cheap jack and board in my suv/truck. You can get a nice jack at wally world for cheap. I think mine was $30 and has paid for its self many times over. A nice jack, spare boards, 4 way lug wrench and some decent vice grips will come in very handy if you gotta change a tire or hub. Also a spare trailer bulb might be handy for that trip. I would also give the winch and strap a good look over. My point is I think your money would be better spent on a jack, lug wrench etc. for now. Once you get there diagnose the trailer and buy the needed parts locally. You may decide to play it safe and buy a spare tire/wheel and hub as back up. Tires and hubs can be changed out road side in 30 minutes if you have the correct tools. Just don't go out and spend $200 on hubs, tires, lights etc until you know they need replaced.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the great info. I was thinking I'd buy all this stuff before and bring it out there and it was getting $$$$. Your right guys, if it isn?t broke I shouldn?t have to fix it. As soon as I get to town I'll track down the Wal-Mart and a local trailer RV shop. I figure I'll bring the boat and trailer into the trailer/rv/boat shop and have them do an inspection. Then I'll set up a trailer emergency kit with a spare hub, tire, jack, 4 way lug wrench, and a few 12" 2x4's for a jack pad and wheel chock. I'll get her good enough to trailer home. I do think I'll wrap her up in plastic shrink wrap, just in case. I get the stuff for free and if it shreds or turns into a royal pain in the butt then I'll keep it naked. I have been doing a lot of research and stumbled across the boat model#. All this time I thought it was a Tri Hull T-156 but the model says V-156. I was pretty excited to see that model#, now I know what I've got for sure. Thanks again for all the tips and advice. I'm kind of figuring out how to post on the site properly so I put my thread over on the resto project forum. See the link in my signature. I also put up a question about the power trim option. I'm not sure if this girl has it or not? What should I look for visually on the motor/transom mount?

Attachments

• IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yes, that motor has power trim.

One more thing to put on your to-do list. Replace that steering cable!!