Your high point in a dull town - Real or invented

Tinkr

Cadet
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, there used to be petrol (gas) pumps with mechancically operated tumblers with the numbers on them to record the amount of fuel that went through the pumps.<br /><br />Our town was so dull that we used to get up early every morning to rush down to the petrol (gas) station to see if the numbers had changed overnight.<br /><br />The numbers never changed overnight, but if they did I'd be pretty sure that the mayor or someone would have done something important. What, I don't know.

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Your high point in a dull town - Real or invented

We here in Indiana wake up and check to see what time zone we are in. Never quite sure. :D :D

Tinkr

Cadet

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> We here in Indiana wake up and check to see what time zone we are in. Never quite sure. :D :D
"Wake up"!!!<br /><br />Mate, you blokes have got it made.<br /><br />Someone here said they'd woken up, but they were still lying down so we didn't believe them.<br /><br />We'd love to have a time zone, if we knew what it was and you promised it wouldn't hurt us.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Course, you could do what we did and hang around the town square waiting for the new cement to dry...

magster65

Commander

Yeah?<br />Here in Saanichton we never looked out the window in the morning because then there would be nothing to do all afternoon. <br /> :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Used to buy gas in my home town (Southern Pines, NC) from a pump that you hand pumped the gas into a large glass globe by hand until the globe held the amount you wanted. Then you ran it by gravity into your car. In my case it was first a 1930 Model A Ford cabriolet (had roll up windows!).<br /><br />Then you paid the operator at around $.08/gallon. I couldn't get a buck worth of Atlantic into my tank.<br /><br />When the first electric pumps came along we didn't trust them because we could no longer see the gas we were getting before we got it. We always suspected the accuracy of the little wheels with the numbers on them.

one more cast

Captain

The high point in my town is....... we finally have a store again.

Twidget

Commander

I still dont trust the little wheels JB. :) <br /><br />I had a neighbor that worked on the pumps. He rarely had to buy gas. After he did a calibration, he put the gas in gerry cans and then his car.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

the high points of my little village (no pub, no shop, one horse!) is the road out of it :D <br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.and the interwebnet :D <br /><br />oh and I think<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />,<br />,<br />,<br />the horse fancies me :rolleyes:

ZmOz

Captain

We used to go down by the highway and lay in the grass and watch traffic. For hours. Then we'd go cause varying amounts of mischeif in the dark... :D

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

When we were kids, on the days that we could not play outside of the house, my younger brother and i would prance around the big bay window of our home which faced the high road in Hertfordshire UK, we counted cars, I got all Fords, Hillmans, Humber and Chryslers, he got all Vauxhalls, Morris, Austins and Wosleys.<br />He won most of the time :)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Nos4r2:<br /> Course, you could do what we did and hang around the town square waiting for the new cement to dry...
Ya gotta have new cement to do that.......We watched the old stuff fade with age.. :D :D

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Bro you better be careful, the BBC will make a TV series about you...<br /><br /><br />Damn I wish I was a kid again.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Nos4r2:<br /> Bro you better be careful, the BBC will make a TV series about you...
Move over Hyincin, Bro is on the move.<br />Poor Richard. :( Please, don't sing!!!!! :eek: