Young Counterfeiter Nabbed

NYMINUTE

Captain
WEST SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- A sixth-grader and two of his friends were suspended after being accused of using phony dollar bills made on a home computer to buy food in the school cafeteria.<br /><br />On Monday, a cafeteria worker at James Madison Middle School found a dollar bill that didn't look or feel like the real thing. Seattle School District spokeswoman Patti Spencer said people in the lunch room were told to watch for more counterfeit bills.<br /><br />An assistant principal called Seattle police the next day after a sixth grader tried to use one of the fake bills to buy beef jerky from the cafeteria.<br /><br />Seattle Police spokesman Sean Whitcomb said the boy made 20 fake dollar bills on his aunt's computer, brought them to school and shared them with his friends.<br /><br />The King County Prosecutors' Office is reviewing the case and deciding whether to file charges. School officials suspended the three boys for several days.

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Young Counterfeiter Nabbed

This meathead spent it on SCHOOL LUNCH?<br />Yuck!!!!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

King County Prosecutor? I do believe that the U.S. Department of Treasury has jurisdiction now.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

My question also jtexas. If I'm not mistaken. couterfeiting falls under the jurisdiction of the Secret Service.<br /><br />The aunt's computer should be seized as a minimum. That will teach her not to supervise her nephew.

D

DJ

What do we expect?<br /><br />We've grown an ENTIRE society on "getting rich quick". Lawsuits, cheating, stealing- we don't care as long as they "look good" and can "work with a ball". There are-no morals left.<br /><br />Work has nothing to do with success-today. <br /><br />I see it everyday.<br /><br />It's pathetic watching an MBA (from an Ivy League School) trying to form an essay, or, a comprehensive thought. $200K worth of education to produce a "somewhat functional idiot".<br /><br />Lesser schools produce even less, to a point.<br /><br />Some of the lesser (percieved) schools produce some fine individuals. Unfortuneately, we (US) do NOT recognize those educational accomplishments as "valued".

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

LIChuck.<br />You are right, all counterfeit currency, whether US$, English Pound, French Franc, Canadian$ etc... are under the jurisdiction of the US Secret Service. They have the authority over all other department when currency is concern.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br />[QB] <br /><br />An assistant principal called Seattle police the next day after a sixth grader tried to use one of the fake bills to buy beef jerky from the cafeteria.<br /><br /><br />I wonder if it was REAL beef jerky?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Secret Service no longer within Treasury? Moved to Homeland Security I guess. Makes sense. I never really understood that anyway.<br /><br />I guess there was a theft against the county or school district or whomever, separate from the counterfeiting charge.<br /><br />A clever prank, I could almost imagine trying that as a sixth grader, but it would've been more of a joke since it would had to been hand-drawn. Or mimeograph. :)