You mechanics out there!

Leopoldo

Seaman
Has anybody heard of the term "pick up timing"?<br /><br />I am having this trouble when shifting from a stable idle and then into gear where the motor will die. To prevent this so I can get on top of the water, I need to idle fast and then rapidly shift into gear and hopefully it will pick up. On the average of one out of six tries and I can get going with this method. Once on the road it rips at W.O.T. and works just fine at intermediate throttle, including even an idle, but once again when I throw the shifter forward at a idle it will die, unless I play the fast idle shuffle game and then into gear! With these odds it is frustrating. Any suggestions?......L<br /><br />PS: BTW, the motor is a 70 Johnson 1987! I even increased the RPM's at a faster idle adjustment, but it still sruggles through to obtain a faster grip before it dies!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: You mechanics out there!

Don't know what "pick-up timing" means, Leopoldo.<br /><br />Sounds to me like your throttles and ignition are not synched correctly.<br /><br />Use a manual to do the Linkage and Synchronization adjustment.<br /><br />Let us know how it works.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: You mechanics out there!

The pick-up timing refers to the actual timing at the point when the cam follower starts picking up the carb linkage. <br /><br />Its not unusual that some re-jetting might be involved but only after its verified that the carbs are clean and operating correctly, the right spark plugs are installed, the cooling system is operating as intended (with thermostats) and all upgrades have been done (if any are called for).