You just got to Love Real Estate

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
My wife and I decided last year that it was time to bite the bullet and finally build our first house. To make a real long story short, it should be done in about 8 more weeks. We are all real excited.<br /><br />The great news is that we went to sell our house "for sale by owner" (4/2.5/2car garage, 2300 sq ft on a small 40 acre lake) a week or so ago and the third person who saw it, offered us full asking price with no contingencies :) A day or so after the "shock" wore off, we realized what this actually meant...Our new house (6/3.5/5 car garage, 4k living, 6k under roof) was actually costing "LESS" than our current house. We're getting a house twice as large, for the same amount per month. I did have to trade the lakefront for a 2 acre forest. (My wife wasn't comfortable being on a lake full of alligators with a 2 year old)<br /><br />Anyways, We're still amazed that a 27 year old inexpensive house can appreciate so much in value in only 3 years since we bought it. Real Estate bubble or not, it has me smiling :) :) <br /><br />(Actually I cant believe I actually get a garage big enough to pull the boat inside and tinker :D <br />No more standing in the dirt in the side yard.)<br /><br />Nav :cool:

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer
Re: You just got to Love Real Estate

Sometimes ya just gotta smile. :) <br />Congrats!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Yup. We just moved too. Made $110,000 on our 90 year old house in less than 2 years, and moved into a bigger, 4 year old house, that I can walk to my boat from, with a smaller mortgage. Can't complain about that. :D <br /><br />Our house sold in 3 days. Closed in just under 2 months. It's a good time to own a house. I'm like you, let the "bubble" pop, I already took my ride! :D

Triton II

Commander

It's been the same down here in the warmer half of the big ball. Many, many people made a shedload of cash from buying and selling houses in the big cities and especially waterfront properties. I made AUS$116,000 in three and a half years from the best performing property I've sold, but unfortunately so did too many other people on much bigger properties with much bigger values and the bubble has burst... in fact we're now going backwards. So now it's probably a great time to buy but it's definitely a lousy time to sell. I'm just a little player in this field, but it's fun paying all that tax when you're ahead! Strange that they don't give it back when you lose though! :(

SoulWinner

Commander

The same thing is happening up here in Santa Rosa and Escambia counties. Our house doubled in value in three years. Anyone who isn't trying to invest realestate is missing the boat.