You Have to Be Kidding?

NYMINUTE

Captain
NEW YORK (AP) -- A children's music video that conservatives charge is part of an effort to encourage acceptance of homosexuality is being distributed to more than 60,000 schools nationwide, producers said Thursday.<br /><br />The video features about 100 children's TV characters including SpongeBob SquarePants, Miss Piggy and Oscar the Grouch singing the 1979 disco hit "We Are Family." It will be accompanied by a teaching guide that promotes tolerance of diversity.<br /><br />"The opportunity to bring that message to children around the entire country is truly exciting," said Caryl Stern, senior associate national director of the Anti-Defamation League. "We know at ADL that people are not born as little haters, we learn to hate. And just as we learn to hate, we have to unlearn to hate."<br /><br />To produce and distribute the video, the ADL teamed with the We Are Family Foundation, a nonprofit organization founded by music producer Nile Rodgers, who co-wrote "We Are Family."<br /><br />TV networks and production companies also are involved, and FedEx has agreed to ship the videos for free.<br /><br />The effort sparked controversy in January when the American Family Association, in an article by the editor of its monthly journal, charged that the video had a pro-gay subtext.<br /><br />"On the surface, the project may appear to be a worthwhile attempt to foster greater understanding of cultural differences," wrote Ed Vitagliano. "However, a short step beneath the surface reveals that one of the differences being celebrated is homosexuality."<br /><br />'We're not talking about sex at all'<br />The video was also criticized by James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, who alluded to SpongeBob SquarePants' role in a "pro-homosexual video" during remarks to a pre-inauguration dinner in Washington.<br /><br />In a telephone interview Thursday, Vitagliano said he does not object to the "innocuous" video itself but to the accompanying teaching guide, which he said "distorts the definition of family to produce a nontraditional model."<br /><br />Vitagliano pointed to a section where children are asked who is in a family, and if they say "a mommy," "a daddy," "a sister" or "a brother," the teacher is prodded to "ask further questions of the class."<br /><br />"We feel that this is part of an attempt to include same-sex couples in the institution of marriage and the family," he said.<br /><br />Rodgers, who joined ADL officials and others at an event promoting the video, said the project is not about sexual orientation.<br /><br />"We're not talking about sex at all," he said. "This is for young children."<br /><br />Christopher Cerf, the author and children's TV producer who's another of the video's creators, said he was "amazed" by the criticism.<br /><br />"At first I thought this was so ridiculous that it's funny," he said.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: You Have to Be Kidding?

Whats really stupid is that the school thinks they have to teach this stuff.<br /><br />Shouldnt social education be handled by the parents?<br /><br />I guess that is just a dream of mine, I know most parents dont have a clue on how to be a parent.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Another perpetuation of the myth that people learn and choose their gender orientation.<br /><br />People do learn and choose to tolerate or hate, however.<br /><br />Is it so scary that our children may learn to tolerate what we hate?

Moody Blue

Captain

Very nicely put JB !!! If everyone could learn to be a little more tolerant this world would be a much better place.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Going out on a limb here, probably be all by myself. Yes JB, it is scary. You try to teach your children your values, when they turn away from them then it is scary. That said, I have no problem with homosexuaility. They do there thing, I do mine.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Just more Neo-Nazism being rammed down our throats by the minority librals that have infiltrated our great country!<br /><br />Its thinking like this that will destroy this great nation, quicker than any war ever could!<br /><br />If homo-sexual lifestyles were not taught to children in the public schools, then the chances that they would even consider that life-style, let alone participate, would be almost non-existant.<br /><br />The school system was never intended to influence any child into a certain life-style, but the pansy libral thinking that so few people cherish, seems to get the attention, instead of the real issues at hand, TO STOP AN EPIDEMIC CALLED AIDS, that was dragged into society by these unwelcomed ingrates!<br /><br />Tolorance? In this case, tolorance is not an issue! <br /><br />Why in the world would I support any life-style that just may be the epidemic that destroys the human race?<br /><br />Makes absolutly no sense to me!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Probably the word "tolerate" is the basis of the confusion.<br /><br />I can tolerate gays living together as a family. I wont wish harm on them, or threaten them, or call them names, or ask them to go away, or stage a protest in their front yard.<br /><br />But I wont embrace it, nor tell my kids it is acceptable behavior.<br /><br />Ken

KennyKenCan

Commander

KIZ,<br /><br />The problem is, these ingrates WILL stage a protest on your front lawn to promote their beliefs!<br /><br />They WILL inflict you with their life-style, whether you like it or not, and that is considered okay. But those who oppose it, are told that they are nothing more than gay-bashers if they oppose the pro-gay protestors!!<br /><br />This kind of thinking is just plain sick!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

JB, I think hatred of gays is actually fairly rare. The extremists get all the TV time and paint a bad picture for those that think being gay is wrong. I will never teach my children to hate gays.<br /><br />The fear is that our children will grow up believing that being gay is acceptable behavior. That goes against what our religious beliefs are. We "tolerate" gays, why cant they "tolerate" our belief that gay is wrong.<br /><br />Ken

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Well if people would accept that they are no different from other people other than their sexuality, then they wouldn't have to hold protests. The same thing happened with segregation. Only back then, black people were fighting for equality. Gays today are fighting against people wishing to take that very thing away from them.<br /><br />"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

Kenneth Brown

Captain

to conitnue with Mr. Scotts story---"In that no man shall be more powerful, or have more right than another. Therefore those within the minority should be allowed to do as others do, yet do no more than they do."<br /><br />I know, it didn't end that way, but it should have. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

It's a conundrum.<br /><br />Say there's a kid or two in the 1st or 2nd grade who has "two mommies" or "two daddies." It's not the child's fault. You want the child to be accepted by his/her peers, same as every other child, right? And you don't really want that child to grow up ashamed of his/her family, right? Yet you don't want to condone the lifestyle. But can you do one without the other? I don't know.<br /><br />I think Spongebob just doesn't want the poor kid to be picked on for something he can't control. Oscar the Grouch don't know hetero- from homo- and couldn't care less, either, he just wants you to recognize the letter J and the number 3.

dolluper

Captain

Gay's have their place and I have my place when they try to take over my place that pi$$es me off<br />So if they just stay in their place I coudn't care less not forcing anything and I don't agree with teaching that lifestyle in schools and that's my quarter worth :rolleyes: :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> Gay's have their place and I have my place when they try to take over my place that pi$$es me off<br />So if they just stay in their place I coudn't care less not forcing anything and I don't agree with teaching that lifestyle in schools and that's my quarter worth :rolleyes: :D
That says it all. It can't be much simpler to understand.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

But I think that's the point. As a society, we are NOT tolerating them. YOU might not be throwing rocks into their windows, but somebody else IS. And (on the topic of gay marriage) they don't enjoy the same priviledges as heterosexuals. How can you say we are tolerant?

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br />
Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> Gay's have their place and I have my place when they try to take over my place that pi$$es me off<br />So if they just stay in their place I coudn't care less not forcing anything and I don't agree with teaching that lifestyle in schools and that's my quarter worth :rolleyes: :D
That says it all. It can't be much simpler to understand.
Substitute the word "gays" with "religious people" and I agree....it's the same fight yet most people bashing gays here would be the first ones to have prayer in class.