YOU GUYS AND FICHTS

What are the problems you guys have with the ficht engines. Do you know why the powerheads fail and when you had them replaced did you have the fuel and oil lift pumps changed with the newer units??????<br /> Also did you have the oil injector and manifold flow tested or changed???<br />That is the only problem i have had on working on them since they came out in 1997.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: YOU GUYS AND FICHTS

I'm somewhat at a loss in understanding the initial post and the questions. It sounds like a slam against the boat owners for not having the intelligence to have various components inspected, rebuilt, or replaced. Hopefully I am mistaken.<br /><br />That task of decision and determination should be up to the experienced and knowledageable OMC technician. Am I missing something here?

D

DJ

Joe,<br /><br />I believe your initial thought was correct.

clanton

Rear Admiral

FICHT, Found in chunks, head _________ fill in the blank. :) :)

No i wasnt meaning it as an insult. I was just wondering if you had those componets checked or changed when you had a new powerhead installed. Im sorry if it seemed like it but i would figure someone would have known. When you rebuild a car engine do you use the same oil pump? Just want to see what i get here.

BillP

Captain

fordmechanic, <br />I took your note as stated and not as an insult to anyone. I see you are new here so don't let negative stuff run you off. Maybe the moon's rotational values around the sun's orbit with Venus, Mars, Pluto and the Big Dipper got some people confused. :D :D :D

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Where did you have the manifold flow tested? Flow tested has kind of a " catchy phrase" such as, " I have never done it, but I talked to a guy that did once". Do you have a flow bench in your shop?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, FM.<br /><br />My only direct experience (non-hearsay) with failures of Ficht injected engines was with 2 '97 Johnson 150s, both on the same boat.<br /><br />In each case a mechanical failure of an injector dumped hardware into a cylinder with resulting block/piston destruction. <br /><br />The second one was the same boat with a replacement (new) powerhead and about 10 hours on it.<br /><br />My son-in-law then put a carbed 2002 Johnny 150 on her and hasn't had a moment of trouble since.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

FordMechanic.... Glad to hear that I was mistaken. The manner of wording can have various meanings and effects. Obviously some of us picked that up on the negative side. Welcome to the forum.

ob

Admiral

Welcome to iboats.<br />
What are the problems you guys have with the ficht engines? <br /><br />Aside from some individual testimonials it's no secret that the early ficht engines were riddled with issues and a disproportional number of them suffered premature failure that was unforseeable to the purchaser.So many in fact that Bombardier did not want to assume all of the product liability for OMC's engineering oversights.I think that is what has people leary of the ficht engine.