Yikes!!!

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
Man, what is the deal...been off cigarettes since Nov 20th, and today i'm having a major fit. got the shakes and everything..can't hardly type...been under some extra stress recently, but haven't had cravings like this in a while

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yikes!!!

Man, what is the deal...been off cigarettes since Nov 20th, and today i'm having a major fit. got the shakes and everything..can't hardly type...been under some extra stress recently, but haven't had cravings like this in a while
Hold on. Take a walk. Get something to drink.
Anything but think about a smoke.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Yah, take a break, a walk, a jog, whatever it takes, just do not light up. Stick with it, be a quitter!! ;):p:D You can do it!!

tashasdaddy

suck on a pencil. don't light it the lead is poison.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

suck on a pencil. don't light it the lead is poison.
Ueah and the plastic starts to smoke and chances are the smoke alarm will go off!!! Mechanical pencils really do not smoke too good! Colored pencils may help :D

Go get a coffee stirrer or a piece of plastic drinking straw and nibble on the end of it. How about a piece of gum or hard candy.

The 4-6 month period is tough. Hang in there.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

a quick jog is a fantastic idea.....

if your triggers are your mouth...use tic tac's ....pop a couple in your mouth...cravings gone......if its your hands.....play with a pencil.....

the cravings are just as strong th that phase but shorter in duration.....

soon they will get weaker.....

be strong grasshopper:)

were pullin for ya

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since I don't smoke I cannot give any advice about stopping, but something to consider especialy if you have kids. Cigaretts took the life of both my parents mother @ 42 yrs dad @ 54yrs I miss them and think about them daily. How would my life be diffrent and my childrens lives if they didn't smoke themselves to death. My children never had a chance to meet their grandparents and only know them from pictures. I know this wont help your cravings but dont ever give up. You dont want to be just a picture on the wall.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. I keep suckers/lollipops around but the craving was so intense it was wierd.

I think talking about it helped though. Also I did manage not to give in at least.

Thanks,

SpinnerBait_Nut

Thanks guys. I keep suckers/lollipops around but the craving was so intense it was wierd.

I think talking about it helped though. Also I did manage not to give in at least.

Thanks,
Good for you. Just keep on keeping on.

aspeck

Staff member

Way to GO! Another day down and a LIFETIME ahead of you! Way to make it the best it can be!

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used to smoke three packs of non-filtered Camels a day.

1 Find something to do with your hands.
2 When you really can't stand it, puff on a cigar a while, just don't inhale.
3 Intellectually be aware that you are better off healthwise not smoking.
4 Realize there is no easy way to quit.
5 It took me years to get to a point where I didn't want to smoke.
Yea, I know. That really doesn't help.
6 Find an aerobic activity that you enjoy, and get involved with a group.
7 If it doesn't work, try again later.

Best of luck. You can do it!

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

It's been 20 years since my last cigarette, but the addiction was powerful.

The first couple weeks when I quit I got very little work done -- I had to get out of my office and walk around.

I had cravings after a week, 2 weeks, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year. A year and a half later, I realized I was finally free! It's gonna happen, so be prepared. I actually lost weight with all the walking I did. And whenever that craving hit, I asked myself, "Do I *really* want to go through that again?"

By this time you've found what works for you. Hang in there! YOU CAN DO THIS!

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

This doesn't really apply since you've already quit, but if you were still just thinking about quitting, you can trick your brain into disassociating cigarettes with nicotine by switching to nicotine free cigarettes and then using the nicotine gum and/or patches when you're not smoking.

Anyway, it's been a year since I quit cold turkey, and I still get cravings every once in a long while. Not that badly, but I'll catch myself looking at someone smoking and thinking about smoking myself. I've even had dreams that I was smoking that were so real I could almost swear they were real. But it's a big relief now when I realize it was only a dream and that I really didn't start back again.