Yet Another Trim/Tilt Problem

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice
Hi This is my first post to this forum, so if I sound dumb, sorry. I have a 1979 Mercury 1150 (115 hp) outboard with the OEM trim/tilt with the Prestolite motor mounted inside of the hull. Over the years the pump motor runs more and lifts less. This year it finally got were it does not work at all. The pump motor sounds fine. I bought a used pump assembly off of E-bay. The pump motor on the new/used pump will not run. The solonoids click, and provide 12 volt power to the motor, however the motor does not work. I connected it directly to the battery, and nothing. From reading other posts, it may be the brushes, or the motor itself. Now for the question, I am going to swap the pump motor from my original pump to the new/used pump. I believe that it may work well for me as this engine is a freshwater garage baby with 110 running hours on it, so the original pump motor has very little wear on it. No wonder the pump failed! The seals and O-rings probably dried up and cracked. Is the best way to do this swap to unscrew the pump and resivour from the pump, and swap the two, or does the motor unbolt from the housing? The person I bought the unit from says that the motor swaps out with two bolts? I think that he is saying to unbolt the motor from the resivour. Are there any parts inside of the unit that I need to watch out for? All the pictures show the motor and resivour as one assembly. Thanks in advance. Charles

miker-gr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Yet Another Trim/Tilt Problem

Did you check the level of the fluid in the reservoir???

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Two bolts hold the motor to the pump. However, unless the armature is sheared in your motor, the pump should work. Have you bled and refilled the PTT system? As for the other motor, I would disassemble and test the components. The overload may be open, the brushes may be worn or who knows. Youi may be able to buy an aftermatket motor and resvoir uper 1/2 also.

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice

I applied power to the motor directly. It is pulling power, but does not run. I heard it spin about 3 revolutions one time, but has not done anything since. Tapped on the end plate, and it spun one revolution and stopped, so I am thinking that it is the brushes. As for the original motor/pump assembly, the one that the motor runs great, but the pump is shot, I removed the screws from the base of the pump to the pump housing, and the base popped out about 1/32 of an inch. It will not come out, so someting else is holding it together. If I remove the two bolts that hold the motor together, will the motor lift off of the pump housing? I am going to have to buy a book somewhere...

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice

I am now to the point were I am trying to make a functioning trim/tilt pump out of one with a good pump and a bad motor, and one with a bad pump and a good motor. From what everyone says, the motor is easy to change. All of the replacement motors are listed with the pump housing attached. Is it best to change the pump housing and motor assembly as one unit. I removed all of the screws holding the pump to the pump housing on one unit, and the pump will not come off. It is loose, but acts as if something else is holding it together. I don't want to force it, as that usually is a mistake. I have searched for a diagram, to no avail. Any help is appreciated.
Charles
PS: the grandchildren are coming from out of state, and want to learn to ride the kneeboard, so I am really want to get to old girl on the water next week.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The resovior base should fall off when you remove all the screws. The armature has a slotted end that drives the pump. You might disassemble the other one to see how it goes together.

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Chris. Since there is nothing else to hold it on, I will keep working with it.