Yet another tire question,Please Advise

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need some advise on this tire issue, I have load star ST175/80D/13 on my boat trailer.After reading threads on tire issues, it got me wondering....<br />I noticed today my spare tire is a <br />P175/80R13 Cheapo from direct tire sales.<br />Should I order a load star from internet or would this radial tire be ok for a spare? I know you shouldnt run radials and Bias together, whats everyones opinion.....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yet another tire question,Please Advise

If you would use a spare just to get you to a place to repair/replace the ST tire I think you're okay, poco.<br /><br />One thing you need to look at though. Check the load rating (and psi rating) of the auto tire and make sure it is at least half the weight of the rig. Big problem with auto tires on a trailer is the psi they hold and the load they will handle.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for your input,<br />checked load rating it is less than whats on trailer. spare is 1130 and trailer tire is 1360<br />and of course psi is different. Doesnt sound good for the home team.........

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Is this a single or tandem axle trailer.<br /><br />If its single axle the tire should = half the weight of your rig. <br /><br />If its tandem I would run that tire as a spare and never think twice, assuming the trailer GVW is adaquit for your boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

An additional consideration is whether or not the trailer is loaded anywhere near its maximum capacity. The tires may allow a 2720# load (1360x2) but if the load + trailer weight is substantially less than that, the auto tire will be quite safe. The problem however, is that once a tire is put on a trailer, it tends to stay there and is no longer a "spare".

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for opinions,just to be on the safe side,ordered a load star tire and extra wheel that match others... the bias ply on trailer with a passenger radial for a spare just made me un easy. Thanks to this forum. (LOL)<br />Just keepin it safe......................

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

I have load star ST175/80D/13 on my boat trailer... I noticed today my spare tire is a P175/80R13 Cheapo from direct tire sales.<br /><br />FWIW, the biggest issue here didn't get mentioned: one is a bias ply and the other a radial. Not too wise to mix 'em on the same axle!