Yet another surging problem (I swear I've tried everything)

tmljunkmail

Seaman
Equipment: 1999 Mercury ELPTO 90hp (with 96 hours on the unit). Ranger R61 (though that information prob doesn't matter).

Ok.....so I realize that there seem to be a million threads on this topic.....and if feels like I have read them all. I can't seem to make any headway and I am REALLY frustrated.

So I will try to describe what is going on and....with as much detail as possible....what I have done to try to correct it.

When the boat is working (and it does intermittently) I can hit about 5300 RPM and 41 MPH at WOT, which is almost dead on for the boat and prop pitch.

Problems/Symptoms: (all seem to be related but manifest themselves at different times not all at once)

1. On some hole shots its often VERY sluggish and will only make about 2200 to 2500RPM, sometimes with surges....sometime not.

2. On other hole shots it will sometimes jump to life like its gonna go, but will only hit about 3000 RPM and then back down to about 2200 RPM and stay there at WOT..

3. If I can push it past that first problem (or it doesn't appear) I will only get about 4000 RPM at WOT and obviously a lot less speed. Sometimes that is constant (it just maxes out that way) and sometimes it will surge up to about 5000 RPM in quick kicks but not stay there.

Here is a list of things I have tried to cure/diagnose the problem.

- Changed plugs (twice....before and after a decarb) using the factory specified NGK plugs

- Changed fuel filter

- Changed the fuel/water filter AND the housing for it.

- Replaced all fuel lines back to the fuel/water filter and checked the connections (using double clamps at each fitting). Didn't go back to the tank because its under the seats and a pain to get to, but I don't think this is the issue as I will explain later.

-- Replaced fuel bulb with a mercury bulb (after being told by someone that my first Bass Pro replacement wasn't good enough)

-- Replaced the hose quick connect at engine cowling.

-- REBUILT THE FUEL PUMP with a Mercury kit.

-- Decarbed the engine using sea foam and the method described by most posts.

-- Did a compression test on all three cylinders (each reading at about 135).

-- Did a fuel system test as described by Capt. Jason and Don in the FAQ forum. (Did the test before rebuilding fuel pump). No bubbles.......gauge read pretty much 0 inches of mercury when running.......on pump test it held at least 5 inches or more. So no positive findings there.

-- I totally detached the fuel lines and connected a one gallon gas tank on a one foot hose direct to the merc quick connect....same problem. (which is why I don't think it has anything to do with the boat side of the fuel system).

-- removed the carb cover and sprayed down everything really well with both deep creep and carb cleaner to make sure nothing was stuck or clogged.

-- I even TEMPORARILY removed the fuel filter and connected the carb direct from the fuel pump to see if that was the source.

-- Double checked and reseated the spark plug wires.

-- (Tomorrow I will likely get new wires and maybe coils just to make sure that isn't the issue.)

Ok......so there you have it.....hopefully that is enough detail to get SOMEONE some idea what the heck might be wrong. This engine only has 96 hours on it and DOES run correctly when I can get to. But the last few days its been happening more and more.

(oh.....one note.....not sure if this helps or is just common sense......but on one of the tries with the carb cover off running at about half throttle.....I sprayed some deep creep into the carb and it picked right up. That's prob common sense....but I thought I would relay it in case it offers some diagnostic help that the system isn't getting enough gas).

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I am sure some is gonna tell me that I need to rebuild the carbs. If the is the solution so be it.....but it seems like its something else.....especially since I CAN get it to run properly at times at WOT.

ChrisfromVT

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Yet another surging problem (I swear I've tried everything)

Clean and rebuild carbs.....link & sync...you said it yourself ; )

tmljunkmail

Seaman

Clean and rebuild carbs.....link & sync...you said it yourself ; )

Are you saying that because THAT is my problem or because thats really all I have left to try?

ChrisfromVT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. You seem to have inspected entire fuel system except the carbs, so why wait?

tmljunkmail

Seaman

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. You seem to have inspected entire fuel system except the carbs, so why wait?

Well.....mostly because I don't know how to do it and I'm afraid to tear into the engine.

I'm pretty handy....don't get me wrong.....and the fuel pump rebuild was easy......but I worry about jacking it up.

ChrisfromVT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can do it. The rebuild kits are cheap and the toughest part is removing the carbs. Take plenty of pics/video and everything will go back together nicely. It's like carpentry...measure twice...cut once. Before you take down the carbs, make certain that the rest of the fuel system is in order...which it seems like you did. Also keep in mind that with proper maintenence, your carb rebuld will last years.
Good luck!

j_martin

Admiral

Or chicken out and don't tackle the carbs, and in a fairly short time you can get to play with burnt pistons, bearings, and all that neat stuff.:D

Go for it. If you pay attention to details and document your path in, (digital cameras are great) it's not a real hard job. If you don't have a factory manual yet, get one. The detailed procedures, and most of the pitfalls are well documented in it.

hope it helps
john

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Troubleshooting is ruling things out.

Did you check for spark? Hot and blue.
Have you checked compression?
You've already checked the boat fuel system...

Once you start ruling out what it isn't, you get a clearer picture of what it is. Same thing goes for us marine mechanics ya know. I don't charge 70/hour because I already know what your problem is... I charge it so I can figure out what it isn't.

Pull off your top carbie and have a look inside of it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Download the service manual for your engine HERE... Password for the file is <<ribforum>>

One problem that had me snookered for quite some time, with symptoms a little like yours, was a sticky throttle arm pivot bolt... Caused the timing not to advance properly. Number 11 in this picture...

attachment.php

You've pretty much ruled out the fuel system, apart from carbs. Pull them and have a look at them. Easy job. Check the float levels too...

That manual will help you with the carbs and just about anything else you want to tackle.

Chris.........

Attachments

• 90 throttle links.jpg
    90 throttle links.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0