Yet another 2+2 question

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a way to give a '99 125 Merc idle circuits on all 4 cylinders? I keep thinking about all the wasted fuel I am using. Or is it all to complicated and costly?

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: Yet another 2+2 question

I've been told by someone who claims he spoke directly to a Mercury rep that says it can't be done. The claim is that the 2+2 thing is not just about saving fuel, but achieving a stable idle at all with thier 4 cylinder looper.<br /><br />-W

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

But I thought that while at idle, up to about 1800-2000 rpm's, this engine uses the fuel+oil to lube but does not fire these two cylinders. How is this fuel conservation? Or am I just seeing it the wrong way?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

FP96,<br /><br />Yes, you are seeing it the wrong way. The mixture is so lean that it will not fire. Do the test yourself, pull the plug lead off either (or both if you really want to) of the bottom two cylinders and see that they are still firing. Not running on the bottom two cylinders is not wasting fuel, there is so little fuel there. It's done by leaning the idle mixture at the carbs, not by removing the spark.<br /><br />Chris...........<br /><br />P.S. You asked this question before and got the same reply.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. Sorry to be repetitive but just want to understand. The way you explain it to me makes me understand now. Thanks achris and clams