year of motor

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am thinking about buying a motor for brother. It seems to run decent, but I have always been a Johnson guy, so I know nothing about Mercury's. The # on it is 2740921, it is a 50 hp (500). Are these decent and what year would it be? What are the main flaws if any with these. It is a 4 cylinder,<br />Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: year of motor

That's a 1970 Model. I don't know abouy the reliability of the 50 HP, but I had a 67' 65HP that was very reliable. Never had any problems other than having to clean the carbs when I got it. Ran like a top with proper maintenence. I guess it depends on how it was cared for and the price if it's a good deal!! Has it been checked out? Be sure to check the compression before you hand over the cash.<br /><br /> web page

jsmccasl

Cadet

I am also thinking of buying a Carolina Skiff with a Merc 115 Oil Injected motor, but do not know what year the motor is. It's number is 0B342960. Any refernece on where I can find out more info?<br /><br />Thanks,

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I may, I had a 74 model 50 horse Merc 4 cyl. Although I only had it a couple of years I used it on two different and it was used probably over 75-80 days in these two years. We skied behind it on a 14' runabout and then put it on a 15' bassboat. We never did anything to that little motor. If the one you are looking at is in good shape it would not worry me at all to buy it as long as the price is right. It is after all a 35 year old motor.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks seldot,it seems to be in great condition.

jsmccasl

Cadet

Thanks rickdb1boat. Motor seems to be in good shape and runs well, plenty of power. Were there any gotchas with that model or year that you know of?<br /><br />Thanks