Year and other statistics please?

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought two Sea King 7hp's, at least one is a Sea King. The other has a plate that says its manufactured by Clinton, model # K700 2107A, Serial # 642956, Type 6027 370 R. Those are all off of the one motor. I need to know the year on that one and any other statistics. The one is pretty much stripped down, but the other seems complete, for $25 I figured I couldn't go wrong. Thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: Year and other statistics please?

You may have a problem with this information and finding parts

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How so Laddie? What do you mean by your post? Is the info incomplete? Thanks

walleyehed

Admiral

Paul Moir may have some insight to this...and he might even be able to tell you where to start looking for parts.<br />You might start with a google on clinton outboards or seaking outboards.<br />I'd say watch ebay for your Model #'s too.<br />try this link<br /> http://www.marinepartsoutlet.com/index.htm

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Were SeaKings made by Clinton does anyone know? I really don't know much about them at all, I'm more of a Johnson/Mercury/Bearcat guy as of now. But I like to find obscure motors to fix also. Thanks for the link. Looks promising.

vanroy

Recruit

HELP.... I HAVE A OLD EVINRUDE SPORTSMAN 1 OR 2 HP. BUT WHAT YEAR IS IT? THE SR# 4416-05293. I WOULD LIKE TO FIX IT UP BUT NEED A FEW PARTS.<br /><br /> THANKS VANROY

Paul Moir

Admiral

I really don't have much other than it was made between '72 and '75, and it is a Clinton 1 cylinder 7hp engine. <br />Other info:<br />Mix ratio: 42:1 <br />Spark plug: Champion CJ8 gapped at .025<br />Oil: I belive your engine is an air-cooled chainsaw derrived engine. If I'm right and it's got cooling fins on the cylinder, use 'Chainsaw' type two-stroke oil rather than TC-W3.<br /><br />That's all I've got on that one. From what I can tell of the serial number, it was made in '74 or '75 - but I'm not at all certain of that.<br /><br />Vanroy - welcome to Iboats! A point of etiquette on these forums is to post your own topic for a 'new' question. Although your question is related, it's not related close enough. :) Several times a day we get asked the same question about what year someone's outboard was made. It's best if they're asked seperately since it often leads to more questions. <br />To answer your question though, yours is a 1947 2hp Evinrude. Post a question in the Johnson/Evinrude repair forum about what parts you need, etc, and for more information.<br /><br /><br />Hope this helps!

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you very much Paul! Thats exactly the info I needed, I got to check it out closer today, and while I couldn't get it to fire, I found that it had excellent spark, and good compression. Now that I know the correct mixture, I'll hopefully be able to get 'er going tomorrow. You're right it is air-cooled, it actually looks alot like and old 4hp Aero-marine division motor I had, same carb and everything. Thanks again!

phatmanmike

Captain

what paul meant to say is its a 24:1 mix, NOT, i repeat NOT 42:1<br /><br />i have 2 of the 3.5 models

Paul Moir

Admiral

No, I did mean 42:1. The larger, later Clintons have a much lower ratio than the smaller ones (esp. the 2, 3 and 3.5 of any vintage). However, more is better than less - the only disadvantage I see in running a heavier mix is more smoke.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to both of you, I will err on the side of too much if anything. Don't want too much smoke though. Mike, (or Paul) How do these motors perform? I will probably either use it on my 17' as a kicker or on my 14' jon just to putt around. Also, the one motor (with the numbers) didn't have a hood, the other motor (it looks a little older) has a hood with Sea King Montgomery Ward stickers. They look pretty much the same, so is Clinton the manufacturer of both motors?