Year and model # of this 18 HP Johnson

hunterope

Seaman
j2430219 is the SN. I gent has it for sale and I'm looking for a little bit more HP then my 9.8 merc. Are they just as easy to work on as mercs? Are the part's fairly easy to find? ANy comments are very welcome. Oh and the guy want's 400 for it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Year and model # of this 18 HP Johnson

need the model # not serial #. in my opinion they are easier than mercs to service.

hunterope

Seaman

I'll do my best to get the mod #. Thanks.

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

1964 model with electric start.

Great motor, I have two and love them. Easy to work on, run great. Check the lower unit to make sure it is filled with clean gear lube and not water before you buy. If it needs seals, carb kit and coils, which is typical, plan to spend about $150 in parts to bring it back to A1 running order if all the mechanicals are good.

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

By the way, fullly restored in perfect running order currently in use (NOT one that has been sitting more than a year) you would be hard pressed to pay $400. Most sell for $100-200 in typical condition - which is 'oh it runs great, my dad used to use it all the time, but since I got it I haven't run it in 10 years, but it should be fine...' I got one in decent shape with another 25HP SeaKing for $125 for both.

hunterope

Seaman

fd 18e
This is the model # on the outboard.

Thanks..

hunterope

Seaman

Sorry, I double posted the model #. Thanks for the info. I'll make they guy an offer. I know it's been used as a duck hunting boat motor so I'm sure it's seen it's share of abuse. I can fix just about anything if the parts don't cost to much. I actually like to tinker with them. I figure an 18hp should push an old seaking 14 footer around pretty well. I know my 9.8 merc does a great job with 2 big guys and a dog in it with all of our gear.

Thanks again, I appreciate your info.

freddyray21

Commander

400 would have to be perfect and even at that a bit high.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

$400 is the going rate for a running 18 in my neck of the woods. And yours is electric start which would raise it even more, probably closer to $500 around here.

And you will go fast. My '66 E18hp pushes my 14' aluminum at just under 40kmh with just me in it.

hunterope

Seaman

I made the man an offer. He countered. He wanted my 9.8 and 100 bucks. problem is this. I've not seen the motor first hand. I have no clue as to it's true state of working order. My 9.8 is working and reliable and I don't have to throw money at it right now. His is questionable at best and it's the start of the hunting season when I use my outboard the most. So with all that being said, I think I'm going to pass. The economy is pizz poor and I'm sure that there will be more bargin's coming out this spring. If they man takes my offer, i'll take it sight unseen..

K.B

Seaman

NOT ME!!

Twice the hosses, elec. start o.k. and don't know how old your 9.8 is, but HE wants "Smilin' Ben" too? Good motors but not THAT good when sight is unseen. He must be a leftover from CONGRESS! Don't think so!! SUMP'NS UP!

hunterope

Seaman

Yep something smells on this one. I'm not willing to part with my bad aZz'ed merc for an unknown. They guy called me again today and wanted me to bump up my offer by 50 bucks and he lowered his by 50 with an exchange. I'm still unwilling to budge. If he wants rid of it, i'll take it for my first offer price.