Yeah Ladyfish, garden is doing fine.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Thats because I am raising frost this year.<br />Got another good harvest this morning.<br />May 28, 2004,<br />Minimum Temperature 28 °F / -2 °C

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Yeah Ladyfish, garden is doing fine.

OMG Roscoe!
27.gif
I'm sorry. <br /><br />My Mom is in the same boat. She told me the ice hasn't gone out on her lake in the Adirondack Mountain's yet either.<br /><br />I avoid talking to her about my beautiful ripe tomatoes. She's a lady but it'll make her cuss like a drunken sailor. <br /><br />At least you don't have to worry about black flies or mosquitos yet.
4.gif

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Back about 1969, went camping over the 4th of July, not far from where I live. Woke up to frost on the car windows.<br /><br />The peace and love hippies camped next to us damn near froze to death.<br /><br />Mom made them breakfast, dad built them a fire and siphoned our outboard gas into their car, sis gave them some clothes, I gave them some soap, toothbrushes, paste, and a beach towel, cause they said they had none. <br /><br />The mid summer nights frost kindof brought us all together.

LadyFish

Admiral

That's a great story Roscoe. :)

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Brrr! Hey, when do things warm up in Wisconsin? Is this a normal year?<br />Bassy

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Well, its not abnormal.<br />I grew up in SE Wis, Milwaukee. Lived next to that big refrigerator we call Lake Michigan.<br />I've seen many days at 90*, then the wind shifts off the lake and instant cool breeze, 60*.<br /><br />Memorial Day Weekend was garden planting time.<br />Up here in northern WI where I live now, we are 3-4 weeks behind in temperatures. A few farmers have planted their corn already, but if we get a freeze after it sprouts, they'll be sorry. <br /><br />We've already hit 80* once this year.<br />But we will have 50's and low 60's here this week.<br />We generally only get 7-10 days in the 90's.<br /><br />I've only had to mow the lawn twice so far this year, but its starting to really grow now.<br /><br />We're pretty happy and start wearing shorts when the temps hit 50. If its above 50* and SUNNY, we go swimming. :) <br /><br />Hummingbirds show up here during the first week of May, Orioles get here a week later. <br /><br />Ladyfish, I swear that story is true. I was only 7 or 8 years old, but I remember it well. They had peace signs and the word LOVE painted on their ragged little canvas tent. They literally had only a couple changes of cloths, a few blankets, a fry pan, and $3. I figure whoever they were, they are about 55 years old now, thought maybe someone on this board would claim it was them. :) <br /><br />And the people camping on the other side of us had more attitude and money than brains. They insisted on putting their screen tent on the nice raised sand tent pad. They pitched their sleeping tent in the low gully. A few days later, we woke up to see their air mattresses floating out of the tent. Mom and dad didn't help those people at all!! :)

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is a little chilly here today. The water is over the banks on some of the rivers. It sure is nice to actually have some water here. The swamps are no longer dry and I can actually lauch the boat without driving on the lake bed.<br /><br />P.S. man, I sure need to learn how to type. That post was unreadable

Link

Rear Admiral

A couple years ago I bought one of those "Earth Boxes" where all you do is set it up once and just add water the rest of the season. I think it cost about 45 dollars at the time. No weeds no work etc etc. When you get home you just put the hose in the tube and wait for the water to come out of the hole in the front and your done! <br /><br />They work GREAT! And once you buy the first one and have the instructions on how to set it up for what your growing it only cost about 5 dollars to build the next one. I built three more buying everything new for $15.00<br /><br />I'm thinking of growing everything for making salsa this year. A friend just gave me a couple onions from his inside garden. They taste sooo much better than store bought ones. <br />Except for that stinking Cilantro, have tried three years in a row and it never tastes right. It also grow to tall and doesn't get fat leaves like it should.<br />The season here is just starting