Yamalube and filter

gonefishie

Commander
Well, my motor has reached the end of its break in and needs new oil and filter. Is there any different between 4 stroke Yamalube and Yamaha oil filter vs. automotive oil and filter?

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamalube and filter

you have a new engine dont screw around with anything but yamaha to save a few dollars, it could void your warranty.marine oil has anti corrosion stuff in it.dont use motor oil stick with marine oil.

gonefishie

Commander

Thanks. Got 6 qt. of Yamalube and yamaha filter yesterday. Most expensive oil change I've ever done, $74. I've always had 2 stroke so this was the first time doing oil change on an outboard for me. It's no different than doing it on a vehicle but somehow it felt completely weird.

jp10

Seaman

6 quarts...yowwwza. Do most 4 stroke Yamaha's take that much oil? I assume this oil change is done at least once a season? I agree with other posters that you don't want to use automotive anything on your boat, but marine grade oil from established companies like Pennzoil will save you a ton of $ and in my 2-stroke opinion, provide you with better protection. Not looking for another oil war here, so use whatever makes you sleep best at night, just not auto products.

gonefishie

Commander

6 quarts...yowwwza. Do most 4 stroke Yamaha's take that much oil? I assume this oil change is done at least once a season? I agree with other posters that you don't want to use automotive anything on your boat, but marine grade oil from established companies like Pennzoil will save you a ton of $ and in my 2-stroke opinion, provide you with better protection. Not looking for another oil war here, so use whatever makes you sleep best at night, just not auto products.

Actually, 5.5 so I got an extra .5 quart. I guess how much oil depends on the size of the engine. It's done every 100 hours or once a year. I've used 2 stroke Penzoil, Castrol, Quicksilver, etc. before without hesistation. I just can't believe how much of a price different between 4 stroke and 2 stroke oil.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

any 4M rated oil in the correct viscosity will work. key is correct viscosity AND 4M rating.
on the filter, while its under warrenty stick with the yamaha one.
keep detailed records on what you bought and when you did it.
if you bought YES then you should have gotten a log book.
use it.

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hate to hijack a thread...

Rodbolt, I bought "YES" on a new F150. I got the paperwork in the mail, but no logbook. Is there an official logbook I need to keep, or is just keeping good records sufficient.

Thanks,
Gary

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if your going to do your own maint keep good records and use the 4 stroke EFI maint sheet.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and for those that are reading comprehension challenged.
look at the top, see where it gives the schedule in hours OR calander whichever occurs FIRST.