Yamaha vs. Force

valencehsift

Seaman
I am about to buy a 1988 225 excel to replace my problematic 1989 Force 150. Come with no controls or prop. I am in Canada, motor in NC. Is it going to be difficult to get controls and hook it up? Also what is the best size prop to have? I am a new boater so excuse my ignorance. The motor is a little oversized for the boat which is ok with me. Also the motor was a salt water and I will be using it in fresh water. Can I use the current key and ignition assembly I have?
Thx in advance and I am sure I will be on this side of the forum more often!!

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha vs. Force

First be careful. From the true hp specs available then you are basically doubling your HP. That is a computerized engine and you will need Yamaha controls and wiring harness.

valencehsift

Seaman

Thx for the advice, I found the prop I need, the controls, now this wiring harness you said, is that pertaining to the ignition?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It might be OK with you, but will it be OK with law enforcement? It's illegal where I live to overpower a boat. There are liability ramifications. Get in an accident and You'll be at fault no matter what, same as if you speed in a car and get into an accident. Will the boat handle it? It was designed to hold what it's rated for. Too much motor can destroy a transom. Then there's insurability. Many companies that look the other way over such things will be glad to take your premium money, then deny payout should anything unfortunate happen. To borrow from the old TV show, they'll disavow any knowledge of your actions. ;)

valencehsift

Seaman

Thanks for everyones concern. My boat is rated for 200 HP. It is not illegal in Quebec, Canada. Also insurance in this province works a lot different from any other province or state and it works in my favour, same thing for my Jeep and motorcycle. So when I said "a little oversized for the boat," I didn't mean my boat maxed HP was 150, that is just the problematic Force motor that it came with the boat in 1989. Now, going back to the original question, any other advice on that would realy be appreciated.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Yes the wiring harness is for the ignition and guages. May be included in the control box.