yamaha tilt,trim gauge wiring

jitzer

Cadet
yamaha tilt,trim gauge wiring

Hi,i have a yamy 85hp AET think its 91,the problem i have is im trying to wire in a trim gauge(Teleflex gauge with 3 posts.<br />From the outbord tilt unit sender i have 4 wires-Pink,Grey,Orange,Black, but i am not sure how to wire it correctly in relation to the gauge.i have spent 2 days trying to resolve this and been looking through the forum, but just cant figure it.any help from anyone with a lot more knowledge in this than me would be a great help.<br />Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha tilt,trim gauge wiring

I dont think a teleflex gauge will work with the thre wire yamaha sender. the wire colors are orange 5V reference,black is ground and pink is the pick off voltage sent back the the YAMAHA guage. yamaha was about the only one to wire the sender this way so not much aftermarket stuff fits it. the gray lead is for the overheat alarm visual indicate.

jitzer

Cadet

Thanks for the info rodbolt,when i ordered the gauge they asked what make of outboard it was for because they said it makes a difference,hopefully this item will work with the yamaha as they said it would,i will see now if i can get it going from the info you gave me from the colour of the wires

jitzer

Cadet

thinking about it where would the 5v reference wire go to, or get 5v from?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the 5V comes from the yamaha trim guage, the pink wire picks off a voltage as the wiper moves between the 5V reference end of the resitor to ground. thats why I dont think teleflex ever made a gauge for it.<br /> instead of using a variable resistor for the gauge sensor they decided to use a varying voltage feedback. about 2000 or so they went to a two wire sender with a variable resistor. now all yamahas use a two wire setup.

jitzer

Cadet

Thanks for your explanation rodbolt,i can see now how this gauge is not going to work and saved me a lot of time trying to figure it.<br />Think i will now get a yamaha one.<br />thanks again.