Yamaha sterndrive 3.0 problem

Maineboater88

Recruit
I have a 1993 century bowrider with the yamaha 3.0 sterndrive. I have had the boat out multiple times with zero issues. Took it out over 4th of July and it ran great for 3.5 days. Was heading to the boat ramp and I heard a faint ticking noise while under power, slowed down shut engine off and checked the engine bay. No issues but would not start back up. Had oil pressure not running hot or any issues. Got towed to the trailer and out of the water and engine would barely turn over( like engine had spun a bearing).
2 days later I checked the oil and it was clean, spark plugs looked fine no metal on plugs and great compression , pulled valve cover to verify valves were moving, boat now turns over fine without plugs in but starter/flywheel make a awful noise. Trying to find out if this has happened before to anyone or someone could point me in the right direction.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just a guess, possibly the starter stayed engaged, burning it up. Pull the starter and check it over, you can bring it to a local parts store and have it tested. Have a look at the flywheel gear teeth and see if they are chewed up also. Also, if you replace the starter, make sure it's a marine rated starter.

kenny nunez

Captain
Something could have locked up in the out drive. Drain the oil and look at what it looks like.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agreed, pull the drive and try cranking it.