Yamaha SHO shutters and shakes, no acceleration

Red_Fisher

Cadet
Hi gang....I'm at my wits end attempting to diagnose the problem. Looking for any advice. I will try to be brief:

Engine: 2017 Yamaha 115 SHO (on a G3 Angler V17SF)
Problem: It starts well and idles smoothly at all RPMs. I can put it in forward (or reverse) gear and cruise slowly with no problems, however when I try to accelerate to higher RPMs it shutters and shakes the whole boat, and I cannot accelerate or get on plane.
What I've tried: it has fresh gas, new fuel filter, new fuel water separator, I removed the charcoal carbon air vent filter and seems to be well vented, the problem also occurs with the gas cap off. I also took off the prop and it looks fine.

The motor ran fine in the fall prior to it's winter hibernation. I believe I winterized it correctly/ per the manual.

Can someone advise if they have had any similar problems, or what they think the problem is with my outboard?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
do you have gauges on that boat to tell if there is a problem with the motor?
and do you know if the alarm systems work properly?

Red_Fisher

Cadet
do you have gauges on that boat to tell if there is a problem with the motor?
and do you know if the alarm systems work properly?
My only gauges and alarms are related to overheating, low oil, and battery volts.

After doing some online research, other people have reported similar symptoms due to a clogged VST filter. Can anyone add any insight into this?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I would think since you are not getting any alarms, then you are left with possible low rail pressure due to plugging VST filter or plugging injector screens.
at least that is what I would start out looking at

Red_Fisher

Cadet
I removed the VST filter today, and it looked very clean. I further cleaned it with some carb cleaner but it does not look like it was clogged. Next step is to clean the fuel injectors? The motor starts very well and idls smooth, but would a clogged fuel injectors affect the performance at mid RPMs and not allow WOT? I followed the owners manual and fogged the engine last fall through the air intake, but I know some people recommend against this. Could the fogging oil have clogged the injectors or something else?

34016ABF-292A-43AB-8E59-E18C093EBE1A.jpeg