Yamaha outdrives ok?

Milkmaster

Cadet
I am familiar with the Mercruiser, Volvo, and even the old OMC outdrives.

A guy has posted a boat for sale that has a "Yamaha" outdrive with the 4.3 GM powerplant. Anyone here know much about the reputation and parts availability for the Yamaha outdrives?

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha outdrives ok?

I dunno much about them for i/o drives but they do make one heck of an OB so i figure the drives would be first rate.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

I hesitate to reply because I think you may be talking about the boat I have for sale (selling as I bought a new boat). Is it the 19' Larson? What I do know about Yamaha's, since I have one and have seen people post on here about them from time to time, is that they are no longer made (1993 was the last year I believe); because of this many say to stay away because parts are hard to come by. There actually is a person on the forum here who deals in Yamaha parts, but his name escapes me (Capt Ken?). I also know, I had a mechanic completely rebuild the engine and fully service the drive and he didn't have any problems getting parts (gaskets, oil pump and such). What I found in my research is that other manufacturers can be substituted and work fine. Now, I'm partial; not because I'm selling this one, but because I currently own it and as of a couple weeks ago still ran it (the drain the lake here so most of the ramps are closed now) and have never had a single problem with it. Part aside, I have seen mentioned here that these engines and drives are reliable and I would agree. Hopefully others will chime in for you so you can be more educated and get other opinions/insight.

Milkmaster

Cadet

actually no it isn't the Larson boat. The boat is a 1996 Celebrity 190 open bow with a small block Chevy and Yamaha outdrive.