Yamaha Lower Unit pressure test 11 psi leak

huanca

Cadet
5 seasons, 250 run hours on Yamaha 140BET in saltwater. Off season, ran weekly in fresh water for 10 minutes. 2x yearly lower unit oil changes, golden color in and out always. A little shavings on the magentic plug. Did a pressure test with lower unit without oil(supposed to hold 14.2 psi for 10 secs) and at 11 psi leaks started at the shaft seal. Oil still comes out like new. Got the new seals for $ 4 each (2 needed) from Yamaha. Should I change seals?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha Lower Unit pressure test 11 psi leak

hello<br /> I assume its the propshaft that you see leaking.<br /><br /> that is a tough call. yammaha puts both sealing lips facing out. the older v4 and v6 units only tested to 2.2 pounds.the newer jumped to the 14.2.<br /> you should also buy the bearing carrier oring and remove the carrier to change those seals. although I have done it without it. OMC makes a tool that allows seal changes without removing the carrier as well.<br />good luck and keep posting.

Capt Ken

Commander

Yep, don't attempt to change the seals without removing bearing carrier. If you slip and scar the propshaft, you just screwed up. I would probably leave well enough alone and just keep a close eye on the oil condition. If you see it change or detect some water, then address the problem.

wtrojan

Seaman

Hey huanca, finally someone with the same engine as mine! Moreover, from a place much closer than others. These engines just don’t appear on this board (not sold in US, they are the same design as others yamaha V4’s, though). <br />What year is yours? How do you like it? If you wish, we could change some info by mail, let me know. <br />Take care!