Yamaha LF115TXRA won't start in neutral

El Puerco

Recruit
My 2002 115 HP Outboard won't start in neutral but will when shifter is disengaged and slightly more throttle is added. It will then run perfectly until even at a very low idle but stalls as soon as I move the shifter back into the neutral position. I initially thought it was a fuel flow problem but I have checked the flow and even replaced the high pressure electric fuel pump in the VST. I now suspect the issue has to do with a failed shifter switch that will not allow the engine to start in gear. Any thoughts?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
My 2002 115 HP Outboard won't start in neutral but will when shifter is disengaged and slightly more throttle is added. It will then run perfectly until even at a very low idle but stalls as soon as I move the shifter back into the neutral position. I initially thought it was a fuel flow problem but I have checked the flow and even replaced the high pressure electric fuel pump in the VST. I now suspect the issue has to do with a failed shifter switch that will not allow the engine to start in gear. Any thoughts?
That would be my guess.