Yamaha ignition switch wiring

Lee Strong

Recruit
I have a Yamaha 9.9 FT9.9EXJ S/N 6G8 UL 780693<br /><br />While troubleshooting startup problems, I replaced the stock 6-terminal ignition switch with a basic switch that has 3 positions and 3 terminals (B/I/S), and connected:<br /><br />Red to Battery<br />White to Ignition<br />Brown to Starter <br /><br />It starts & runs strong, but won't quit when I turn the key off! <br /><br />Should I connect a ground to the switch ? Which terminal ? Or should I buy another 6-terminal switch ? <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?prod_id=2883&current_category=ignition&*******=146058713 <br /><br />Or a more expensive Yamaha stock switch? I do not need to wire accessories or choke.<br /><br />Thanks in advance to anyone with an idea.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha ignition switch wiring

hello<br /> hopefully you have not damaged anything. we shall see. the switch you used will not work and is not wired properly. yellow is key on power,white is kill, black is ground, brown is start, blue is choke, red is fused 12v positive,pink is to the alarm horn. you must use a switch that in the off position connects the black to the white. will be M terminal on a jonny/rude type switch.<br /> I guess it will be to easy just to order the correct part:)<br /> hopefully the improper voltage on the stop circuit wont hurt.<br /> good luck and keep posting