Yamaha GP1200 w blown head..

gacoaster

Recruit
Ive been researching and looking at pwcs for a month now
and have a question about one I am considering.

99 Yamaha gp1200 has a broken piston in cylinder but otherwise looks
like a clean and well mantained ski. I have not been able to determine
what route to take with the engine but am hoping I can get away with
a rebuild and not a new engine..

Anyway the seller is asking $1200 and would love any thoughts or
direction from some experienced folks. Much appreciated.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha GP1200 w blown head..

There are lots of rebuild options for that engine, but best bet is to have it done locally if possible. And unless there is no damage to the cylinder walls you could very easily end up needing to do all 3 cylinders instead of just one, so keep that in mind. Also, extremely important to determine the original cause of the engine failure.........its often due to an oil line coming off on that engine, but could be due to dirty carbs., causing a lean run, etc.. Having the carbs rebuilt could easily cost you another $500. Now with the cost of the rebuild and having the carbs done, you could easily be looking at $1500 to $2000. Add that to the $1200 you originally paid for the ski and you have more in it than what you could have paid for a ski in good running condition.

IMO $1200 is too much for a non-running ski. I'd offer the value of the hull (maybe $600 if it is pristine), but no more.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree 100% with Ernest. $1200 is too much for a non-running, 1999 GP1200 around where I live. PWC prices differ depending on region but you can be sure that you'll invest a lot of money and time getting this GP running. It will be expensive even if you do all the work. If you're incapable, the cost will be so high you'd be much better off buying a newer ski in running condition.

This past January, I bought two non-running 1996 Sea Doo XPs on a double trailer for $900. A smoking deal even where I live. I've since put $1250 into them which includes a new top end (including two "new" used cylinders to replace the freeze cracked originals!) This is with me doing 100% of the labor except for the machine work on the jugs. We ran these two skis for 6 days straight last week during our Lake Murray (Columbia, SC) family vacation. With the amount of labor I put into these two skis, if I'd paid a shop to do the work, you could easily double or triple the amount of extra money that I put into the skis.

Make sure that you are confident that you can turn the wrenches and spend time on the internet researching and asking questions so that you can get the ski running reliably again. Talk him down well below $1000. If you can't do both of these, I'd recommend passing on this deal.

rogerwa

Commander

To make this a viable deal, I would offer in the 5-700 range and if you are lazy drop in a rebuilt from SBT or take a cheaper router an rebuild yourself. If the cylinder walls are good and the cases are good, the rebuld is pretty simple. I rebuilt mine (gp760 - which 2 vs 3 cylinders) for about 600 which included honing cylinders, new pistons, rebuilt crank, all new seals, etc.. It runs better than ever.

If you got it for $500, you could have a funcitional ski for $2000 +- depending on what route you take. If the hull is very nice, that may be a good deal..

gacoaster

Recruit

All,
Thanks for time and info you gave to my question. Very
valuable information to add to my educaton on PWCS.

I did decide to pass on the Yamaha and am looking at some
other deals on some that need repair or am thinking towards buying
one already running. One that i am considering is a 2002 Sea Doo GTI
that is in great shape but smokes upon start up after it has been
sitting a while. Runs fine without smoking after it burns off the oil.

I thinking this problem is fixable without an engine replacement but
rather a couple of seels and may take a crack at it for $800.
Any thoughts?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd check the compression on that Seadoo before you buy, since another reason for the smoke could be a worn out engine. Actually, IMO it is mandatory to check the compression on any 2 stroke ski before you buy. Also take a look at the fuel lines. If they are grey, they will need to be replaced before you do the carbs. I also recommend a test ride. The 2 cylinder GTIs are OK skis, but definitely not a powerhouse.