Yamaha F90 in Saltwater

SteveinAK

Cadet
Hi, newbie here, so this may be a stupid question. I just bought a G3 Jon Boat w/ a Yamaha F90 Jet Drive on it (Both 2005's). Won't be taking delivery til May 21, unfortunately. Question is: Can I take this engine out on limited salt water (just some of the inlets and around Whittier (Prince William Sound)) without damgage to the engine? I would be flushing the engine in freshwater after each trip out. Is this going to destroy my engine, a friend of mine does it all the time, but I'm not sure I want to do it if it mean death to my brand new engine. Thanks for any replies.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Yamaha F90 in Saltwater

Flush it, and rinse it off to wash the salt spray off... Salt won't hurt it a bit..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm gonna move this to Outboard Non-repair. I think it will get more valid exposure there.

SteveinAK

Cadet

Thanks for moving my post JB. Sorry I didn't post here to begin with. Thanks for the reply snapperbait. I'll be smart about it, and flush the motor out good. -Steve

mallardjusted

Seaman

As snapperbait said, as long as you flush and rinse everything's ok. I've been using outboards in salt water and intertidal waters for over 20 years and have not had any problems. (I'm currently running a Lowe Roughneck with a Yamaha F50).<br /><br />The majority of outboard motor makers design their outboards so they can be used in salt water.

SteveinAK

Cadet

Thanks Mallard- I liked the Roughnecks. I looked pretty hard at them, but the G3 dealer gave me everything I wanted, the Lowe dealer wasn't willing to give me a better deal. Nice boats though! -Steve

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

no problem with saltwater and a yamaha 90 had a pair of them (two strokes) once that saw nothing but salt and that was a long time ago, saw the old boat the other day and the 90's are still going,they are looking a bit tired now but still going.