Yamaha F200 and F225 Making Oil ????

wildman07

Cadet
Ok heres the problem,...I'm in the out islands of the Bahamas (thats not the problem) I have a F200 and 5 F225 four stroke out board engines year model are all 05 and 06 .These engine have started making oil.Strange I know.
After preforming oil and filter changes on all these engine and adding the correct amount of engine oil,after approx.10 hours of running,the engines will gain approx. 1.5 to 2.0 quarts of oil.
The oil also becomes very thin and clear looking.From what resreach I've done
I have discovered fuel is some how getting into the engines oil system.Also after speaking with several other owners of 4 strokes down in this area it seems everyone it having this problem.I know of a total of 18 four stroke engine doing this very same thing.Engines ranging from the 115hp to the 225hp all four strokes.I've called Yamaha USA direct and they will not come off any info because I'm not a dealer.
Does anybody out there have any idea what might be going on with these engines,...they all run fine with no problems and have a very good service records (the ones I own ) Oil is $$$ and I can't keep changing it every week.
But at this piont I have to because it becomes so thinned out with Gas,I don't want to cause further damage.
Someone knows whats going on I'm sure we're not the only ones having this problem.I would think Yamaha would like to stand by it's product,but they really have not been helpful at all.Please any addvice at this piont may help.
Thanks to all.

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha F200 and F225 Making Oil ????

I have found on iboats by..

WillyBWright
Fleet Admiral
Smell our Dairy Air.

"Making Oil" FAQ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get a few customers each year with high oil levels in their 4-stroke outboards and it's really tough to explain why sometimes. So I prepared this to present to customers with the problem and I thought it would make a good FAQ.Q. Why does my 4-stroke outboard oil level keep rising? I never add any. Shouldn't it be going down?A. This is referred to as "Making oil". Here it is in a nutshell. Water vapor enters the crankcase of all motors from the atmosphere, and as a by-product of combustion. In other motors, the oil gets rather hot and any water vapor that may condense will steam-off and exit the crankcase breather. 4-stroke outboard motor oil doesn't get nearly as hot, so the water just keeps on collecting.Q. Is it always water?A. No. Tiny amounts of raw fuel also leak into the crankcase on the compression stroke, potentially diluting the oil and raising the level on a cool-running motor. Or there could be a fuel system leak. Typically the odor of the latter situation is fairly obvious, but not necessarily. Lack of a gassy smell shouldn't preclude checking the possibility of fuel system leaks. Over choking and frequent flooding will also cause fuel to get into the oil.Q. Where does the water come from?A. Three sources. Asmosphere, combustion and fuel. There's always moisture in the air, especially near bodies of water. Some condenses out naturally and collects in the crankcase of a sitting motor. Some comes in right along with the air as it runs. The body of water you're operating on produces a lot of atmospheric water vapor, especially a few feet above the water line ... where the powerhead is. H20 is one of the compounds that forms when gasoline is burned, along with CO, CO2, NOX, etc. Some leaks into the crankcase right along with the other contaminants and mixes into the oil. Alcohol combustion makes mostly CO2 and H2O, so alcohol-blended fuels tend to produce more water vapor than straight gasoline.Q. Wouldn't my oil turn milky if water was in there?A. Eventually it will. But oil has some capacity to retain water and it eventually reaches a threshold where it starts to cloud. Q. Why doesn't the oil get hot enough to steam it off?A. It can. If the motor is running hard enough to plane the boat, water that otherwise cools the oil isn't splashing on the sump that holds the oil. But boats that are run at non-planing speeds may not heat the oil up very much at all. The water the boat is running in cools the oil which is in the sump beneath the powerhead. That water can keep the oil pretty cool just by splashing against the outside of the aluminum sump.Motors that are mostly operated at sub-planing speeds seem to be especially susceptible to making oil. Many times the complaint is that a kicker used for trolling has the problem, but the main motor doesn't. That's because the main motor is used to get to the fishing spot fast to troll slow with the kicker. One is hot, the other is not.Q. Why is it a problem with my motor and not my neighbor's?A. Two things really aggrivate the problem. Cool running temperature of the oil, and the abundance of moisture available that inevitably collects. The environment the boat is kept in, water temperature, the fuel you use, and the way you operate the motor have huge effects on whether or not this is going to be a problem. Q. Wouldn't a hotter thermostat solve the problem?A. Doesn't help much, but it helps. Problem is that you're regulating coolant temperature and not oil temperature. The oil will get a little warmer as a result, but the powerhead will be running hotter and that's probably not good. Then consider that if the sump is getting splashed by water, that pretty much cancels it out.Q. How can I be sure of what is making the oil?A. You can have the oil analyzed. There are many labs that test automotive oil. Outboard readings may not be consistent with what would be expected from an automobile engine, so interpreting the data could be problematic. But it sure will show what is in the oil. A quick search yielded a lot of labs offering this service through the mail for a wide range of prices. Shop around, but it could be money well invested. One site with abundant information is http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ They also have a Forum if you have any questions.Q. So what can I do about it?A. Right now, the approach is to minimize the amount of contamination allowed to enter. That means keeping the motor as unexposed to atmospheric moisture as possible. Practical in some situations, impossible in others. The manufacturers are also stressing proper and agressive break-in procedures to mate surfaces better and keep leakage into the crankcase (blow-by) to a minimum. Avoid alcohol-blended fuels if you can. Finally, allow the motor to get hot enough to steam-off what water will inevitably collect in there. That'll probably mean running it hard for awhile. (If your lake has a speed limit ... Ouch!)If all of that fails, have the motor checked for gasket leakage. It could be coming from the cooling system. More frequent oil & filter changes may be necessary. But try running the motor hard for several minutes every time you go out. That's the easiest, cheapest, and most enjoyable thing to try.Q. So you mean I HAVE to open it up and go fast once in awhile? A. Dang shame, ain't it? Thanks to Bill, Bo, DJ, Gary, Jim, LubeDude, Ray, Robby, Rockhopper, TheOilDoc, and of course JB for their encouragement and invaluable assistance in preparing this FAQ.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

with extensive idleif you were getting moisture in the oil your post would be about milky oil and raising levels.
however thats not what your describing.
what your describing normally comes from 1 of 3 things. one is its overpropped for the load,2 is its not run consistently above 4000RPM which makes them lug 3 the T-stats are sticking/blocked open and the block is running cold.
I have seen the odd one line up the ring gaps as the F motors dont pin the rings and if carbon/fuel gum sticks the rings air/fuel will blow by and contaminate the oil.
its not unique,odd or a mystry.
mostly I see lugging as the issue.
EFI motors dont care,they spray fuel regaurdless of engine vacum or combustion pressures.
its a common issue I fight, sometimes its a prop hull issue sometimes its a customer education issue.
rarely is it an actual mechanical issue but a quick leak down test can isolate that. if your tech takes longer than 20 minutes to complete a leakdown on an F V6 they are milking it :)
with extensive idleing you will see block temps fall in the 80* range. way to cool.

wildman07

Cadet

Ok heres the problem,...I'm in the out islands of the Bahamas (thats not the problem) I have a F200 and 5 F225 four stroke out board engines year model are all 05 and 06 .These engine have started making oil.Strange I know.
After preforming oil and filter changes on all these engine and adding the correct amount of engine oil,after approx.10 hours of running,the engines will gain approx. 1.5 to 2.0 quarts of oil.
The oil also becomes very thin and clear looking.From what resreach I've done
I have discovered fuel is some how getting into the engines oil system.Also after speaking with several other owners of 4 strokes down in this area it seems everyone it having this problem.I know of a total of 18 four stroke engine doing this very same thing.Engines ranging from the 115hp to the 225hp all four strokes.I've called Yamaha USA direct and they will not come off any info because I'm not a dealer.
Does anybody out there have any idea what might be going on with these engines,...they all run fine with no problems and have a very good service records (the ones I own ) Oil is $$$ and I can't keep changing it every week.
But at this piont I have to because it becomes so thinned out with Gas,I don't want to cause further damage.
Someone knows whats going on I'm sure we're not the only ones having this problem.I would think Yamaha would like to stand by it's product,but they really have not been helpful at all.Please any addvice at this piont may help.
Thanks to all.

Just to add.....The engine oil smells like Gas and is very clean Not milky as if water was raising the level.

wildman07

Cadet

Hi Rodman,.. These boats are used to chase pouchers and are generally run run wide open trying to catch the bad guy (kind of fun actually) three of these engine have approx. 2000 hrs on them.If we bleed the fuel pressure off after we shut down the oil making slows down.This is why I believe it is a fuel issue.Now the F200 only has 300 hrs and still has the factory prop and the engine gets run pretty hard.All the bottoms are clean.I also have one 225 that only has 100 hrs on it BUT the engine is 3 years old. I do have the knowlage and a cylinder leakage tester.I'll preform a leak down test on one of these engines Monday and let you know the results,...I would less than 10% leakage would be ok. Thanks for your advise.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

do the leakdown and check fuel rail pressure at engine shutdown. it should hold above 35 PSI. if not its possible an injector is bleeding.
what kind of WOT RPM's can these motors run? and there is no "factory" prop.

wildman07

Cadet

do the leakdown and check fuel rail pressure at engine shutdown. it should hold above 35 PSI. if not its possible an injector is bleeding.
what kind of WOT RPM's can these motors run? and there is no "factory" prop.

Hi Rodbolt,... The rpm at WOT is 5400 to 5500 the props are the ones that came with the engines,...this info is for the 225hp.
the F200 rpm is right on 5400 and it also has the prop that came with the engine.I do know the fuel pressure is 34 psi while running I do trust the gauge,but I'll check standing pressure.I did do a standing pressure (over night) and it did hold but I can't rememeber the over night pressure ,so I'll preform that again.Thanks for your help.Bill.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

they are overpropped, they should turn 6000-6100 at wot.
efi is very touchy about over propping.
but check everthing else,engine operating temps and cylinder leakdown.
if all else tests ok drop 2" of pitch from the props and retest.

wildman07

Cadet

they are overpropped, they should turn 6000-6100 at wot.
efi is very touchy about over propping.
but check everthing else,engine operating temps and cylinder leakdown.
if all else tests ok drop 2" of pitch from the props and retest.

Morning Rodbolt,.. Leak down test was less than 10 % on all cylinders on the 225 hp and the 200 hp.Cylinder head temp (after running for 30 mins) was approx. 178 to 180 using a laser temp gun at the T stat housing.

This all seems within limits to me.Would it be possible the the diaphram in the fuel pressure regulator is leaking ??and allowing fuel to by pass into the crank case. I know on most EFI engines if you dissconnect the vacuum line the fuel pressure should increase.Damn thing is very hard to get though. What do you think.. Thanks Bill.