Yamaha F-20 Prop selection

jonboyf20

Recruit
Hi,
I need some help selecting the right prop for my set up.
Engine 2008 Yamaha F-20 Model F20MSHG. Ser 6AHK S 1014930 H
Boat Alumacraft MV1648
My prop right now is 9 1/4 X 12-J1. When I am in water with higher current the engine seems to be Working very hard, and does not sound like it comes up to speed.
The speed rating of the engine is 5000 to 6000 RPM. I have not put a tach on it yet to find out actual speed.
Any Help would be very nice.
Thank you.

jonboyf20

Recruit
Re: Yamaha F-20 Prop selection

I would like to thank you all for your help. I went to a 11 inch pitch and this works just fine.
Thank you all again.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Sorry no one was able to give you any info, but if you would have given some actual RPM data someone probably would have been able to give some advice. Even with the new prop it would be a good idea to make sure what your WOT RPMs are with a normal load. You may need more than one prop if your load and running conditions change very much on different trips

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Please keep in mind we are just fellow boaters trying to help others.
This is the time when kids are heading off to collegeand folks are busy getting them and their younger brothers and sisters set up for school.There are surely vacations planned around labor day weekend with the many preperations for that.
Then if your post doesn't get any response it will move down the list and may be overlooked.
You can move it back up just by doing a bump ^^^ in a quick reply.
I usually like to try to help smaller hp problems and never saw your thread until just now.