yamaha 90hp full of chalk looking powder behind head. need help removing chalk/salt

metor99

Seaman
Hi
My 90 hp yamaha is not pumping water to the head. Yes water pump is bad but How do i get the white chalk looking stuff out of my engine. I pulled the head off and yes broke 6 bolts so im having a hell of a time. What can i use to clean the passages ( something liquid in nature )

All answers welcome I need help I will try CLR first. If this is bad let me know.

Thank You
Charles

metor99

Seaman
Re: yamaha 90hp full of chalk looking powder behind head. need help removing chalk/sa

I pulled out the water pump all the blades except 1 was broken off. I cant find the other pieces. I dont know where they are. How do i back wash the system? or where should i look for the pieces.

post edited: I found all the pieces in the lowerunit intake by the screen.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: yamaha 90hp full of chalk looking powder behind head. need help removing chalk/sa

ok, easy way to get the 'chalk' and salt out is with a Volvo product called NeutraSalt....it seems expensive but you can use half straight for this and have the other half you can dilute for other uses. It is a GREAT product and you just pull the t'stats and pour into holes and let run down thru engine, you can also buy an injector for water hose to use with ears. I would fill a twenty ounce drink bottle and put to t'hat hole and squeeze bottle hard into hold to force in quickly so will spread. Let sit after maybe two bottles in each head....you can also backwash at t'hat holes....one at a time so pressure is there, in other words, keep on sealed. and let water go out midsection with foot removed so big pieces can get out.