Yamaha 90?

Marlinman10

Seaman
I've been looking into buying a Yamaha 90 for my 17' glasspar. Anyone have any pro's or con's with this motor. I had a 130 Yamaha some years ago and had zero problems with it. Thanks:)

Attachments

• 3fe3_3.JPG
    3fe3_3.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yamaha 90?

they are good motors. check compression, spark, lower unit oil.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I like the lines of your boat there, Marlinman. I'm on my first 4 stroke outboard -- a 2004 Yamaha 90. After one season I must say I love it. It's quiet -- even at full boil, seems well-built and pushes my 17 foot Scout along at a pretty good clip. I've yet to do any detailed fuel consumption calculations so can't really comment. My last medium-sized outboard was a mid-eighties vintage 2 stroke Merc 70. Although this engine is still carbed (one of the last I undertand) -- it seems light years more refined.

As for cons -- I am most certainly not a fan of Yamaha's digital gauge cluster. I want to see old fashioned needles sweep across dials with fixed numbers on them. I guess a digital speedo is ok but the tach bugs me as there's no instantaneous read of your revs versus the redline. This your brain grasps instantly with an analog gauge. Also, the bar graph LCD fuel gauge is hopelessly crude as there's something like just eight notches from empty to full. This means it takes forever to drop a notch and you've got no sense of fuel burn in between. Also, there's no constant reading of temperature or oil pressure -- just alarms with a blipping pixelblock over the appropriate symbol. I think I'm going to install a fuel flow meter and would really like just to swap out the entire thing for an analog gauge package.

So, in summation -- great motor, not so great instruments.

skibar.jpg

tach.jpg

speedo.jpg

Marlinman10

Seaman

Thank You. I had a Yamaha 130 two stroke that I loved. It was on a 18' searay and it ran awesome. I saw the boat last year after selling it in 95 and they had no problems with the motor what so ever. I plan on another one.

rndn

Commander

It's really hard to find a bad motor from any manufacturer these day. Yamahas are nice well made engines.