Yamaha 85 and 90 difference ?

Marlinman10

Seaman
I've been looking to buy a Yamaha 90 two stroke but found a clean 85 and wondering what the difference is. This 85 doesn't have oil injection and was wondering if that's the only difference. He thought the lower unit might be different. Does anyone know? He called it a commerical 85.
Thank You

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha 85 and 90 difference ?

I have owned both motors in the past, and they turned out to be really good motors. Yes, the oil injection was the only difference that I could tell. They were both carbed motors, tilt/trim, and identical in appearance. The 90 I owned for ten years and have never owned a better outboard. Just simple, normal maintenance and it remained trouble free for the ten years I had it.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

you can't go wrong with any three cylinder two stroke Yammi, very reliable motors.

Marlinman10

Seaman

Thanks for the info guys.

Someone else said they have a manual choke.

There must be a Yamaha expert out there with more info.

Thanks

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

they do, mine was just to the left of the cowling latch.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Yes the 85 has as all others a manual choke on the housing. However the 1993 85 I owned did have an electric choke at the helm, under the key. It was a toggle switch unlike the newer ones that push the key for the choke.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if they are the same as the ones in Aus there was a couple of differences from new, along with the premix, the 90 also had a stainless prop as standard, a trim switch mounted on the cowling and different gauges, I guess there may have been more as well.