yamaha 6y5t gauge hook up

KJM

Lieutenant
Hi, I'm trying to hook up the guage but I can't find where the 4 pin wire plugs into the motor. Its a f90A 2016. The manual wasn't in the box with the guage.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Front of the engine pan. Ivory coloured connector. Four wires to it. Might have a cap on it.

KJM

Lieutenant
Front of the engine pan. Ivory coloured connector. Four wires to it. Might have a cap on it.
Yeah i saw that plug, it do have a cap on it, but I thought it only had 2 wires to it? I'll look again to be sure, thanks.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The bright white connector with a cap on it, with but two wires, is not used with a 6Y5 tachometer.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
No. There are two kinds of tachometers. Analog and digital.

Analog uses the ivory coloured four pin connector with four wires.

Digital uses the while coloured two pin connector with two wires.

Either type will work with your motor. Just depends upon what you want to do.

You mentioned the 6Y5 tachometer. It is analog but with a digital display.

KJM

Lieutenant
I found it (i think)! There was a capped plug in behind the main round plug up on the side of the motor. Anyway it was capped and white and the cable plug fit it perfectly so I think I'm good, I didn't actually hook up the gauge yet because i'm still working on the dash where it will go.

KJM

Lieutenant
I got the guage to work, it was plugged into the right socket, I just didn't have the rest of the wires beside the plug hooked to the guage. It wasn't getting any power! Thanks for your help. Now I have another electrical question. The wiring harness to the guage has extra places where you can wire up accesories. The yellow keyed power wire has an inline 10 amp fuse. I ran power to a fuel guage and a volt guage and the front green/red running light. All worked fine. Then when I tried to power the lights inside the two guages i had set up, the 10 amp fuse blew, I put in anpther one and it also blew. Should those couple of guages and lights blow 1- amp fuses? Would it be a bad idea to put a bigger fuse in? Also there is a blue wire hanging from the harness with a male plug on it and I don't know what it is for. Any ideas?

KJM

Lieutenant
I suspect there is. The controler has 2 sets of wires leaving it. One contains the wires that go to the tach, the other is a shorter set of wires. What are they for? Also should I run accesories from the yellow wire in the tach harness or is there another way to get power to a switch panel? I,ve figured out the blue wire is for the backlight on the tach. I need to wire up a switched bilge pump.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the diagram and going thru the effort, but that might as well be chinese for how much sense I can get from that!
If you cannot understand that diagram then the motor needs to be taken to a mechanic that knows Yamaha outboard motors.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like you might have a 703 side mount control box. You did not say what you have. If you simply follow what the diagram shows you will have no problem. Four single colour coded wires (one of which is not used) with bullet connectors and one four pin connector. Pretty difficult but some manage to pull it off.

Ignore the other wires if you have the 703 control box.

KJM

Lieutenant
Thanks Boscoe, I got it all working after. You are right, its a 703 controller. I appreciate all the help.