Yamaha 60 1/2 throttle at WOT

wdudley

Cadet
I have a 1998 60 hp C60tlrw. Seems the motor went into s.l.o.w. mode after an overheating problem. Replaced impeller. Removed/cleaned power head and exhaust, replaced all gaskets. Pees great. On the muffs runs great at idle and uping the rpms. But in the water it just hits a rpm wall at around 2000 (+/-) and seems like 1/2 throttle at WOT. Gas is good. Any suggestions appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 60 1/2 throttle at WOT

Does your alarm system work?
If it does and there is no problems then
Clean the carbs and fuel system

wdudley

Cadet

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the alarm was checked and working fine.
I have cleaned the carbs chemically with seaform/gas mixture.
I can't believe taking them apart and soaking/replacing o-rings is going to make that much of a difference. It runs to well , except when it under a load (in the water)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like low compression or fuel problems.
Believe me, cleaning the jets and all passages makes a big difference. This requires complete dis-assembly of carbs and cleaning with carb cleaner and compressed air.
You do not need to replace all parts in kit most of the time, just clean and put back together unless you find a problem with something.
Sometimes even a sonic cleaner works well also.
Running additives through the fuel system will not get the job done if you have some blockage. Make sure you pay attention to which parts come out of which carb. And follow the steps in the manual for link and sync after putting carbs back on.

Are you sure the motor has good compression on all cylinders and good spark on all also?

The safe mode retards the timing, so it is easy to check with a timing light.