Yamaha 40tlrx no pee stream??

1080tommy1

Seaman
Hi, I am new to the forum and just bought my first boat and outboard motor this week. I got a Yamaha c40tlrx and got her home and ran her for about 15 mins. I noticed that the motor started almose immediately and was amazed because I am near Chicago and the motor was winterized over 5 months ago. The motor idled nicely for about 15 mins and was pumping a noticeable strong pee stream. I went to go get more gas for the gas can and started it again and the pee stream was gone. When I bought it the guy actually hit the starter for about 2-3 secs and I told him to stop. Could that have damaged the impellor??? I know my dad started an older merc cruiser we had and he started the engine and immediately shut her down but the impellor was damaged. I am not familiar with outboards so could there be another cause or should I just get an impellor kit. Sorry for the long first question but I am new to having a small outboard. Thanks.

Tom

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Yamaha 40tlrx no pee stream??

Maybe put the muffs on, start the motor, check for pee stream while sticking a fine wire or monofilament up into pee opening to maybe dislodge any obstruction in that small orifice/tube. Sometimes a small chunk of scale or corrosion can break free from inside motor and plug that line. If that doesn't open it up then drop the lower unit to inspect water pump and circulation down there. It would take more than just 2 or 3 seconds to overheat an impellar to the point of failure, but it's always best not to press your luck on this....always have the water muffs turned on. Good Luck!:)

1080tommy1

Seaman

Thanks, I will check that. I just noticed in the parts list it seems this model has a thermostat. When I was running her the temp outside was a balmy 32 degreess, could the thermostat being closed stop the pee stream or should there be a pee stream no matter what??? I also checked compression and the cylinders were at 115, 120, 120. I do not have the manual yet, but I am thinking that is a pretty good compression. Does anyone know the compression ratio or what compression should be. I guess once I get the manual I can find out because on the net there is not a lot of information on compression ratio. Thanks again I really appreciate the help!!!:D

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If it is that cold then your tell tail could have frozen, a piece of weed whacker line or heavy mono usually works if the plug is at the plastic nipple.
Tell tail is not controlled by stat
Compression looks OK , there are no specs even in books for compression. as long as the cylinders are within 10% of each other they are fine. and being over 100 looks good.
Sending you a PM

robert graham

Admiral

The compression ratios on these 2 stroke motors is usually in the 6:0 to 7:0 range, much lower than 4 strokes. In fact my Yamaha C90 2 stroke has a sightly different compression ratio for each cylinder....never have really gotten an answer on that one???

1080tommy1

Seaman

Thanks for the responses. I am going to restart the motor this coming weekend and if there is no pee stream I will check for obstructions. If there is still no pee stream I will assume the impeller is the issue. It is just weird that it would have such a good stream when first started and then nothing. I hope a small obstruction. This helps greatly because I must say I was very concerned that I may have bought a bad motor. The compression is strong and the motor starts very easily so I think once she gets a little TLC, the motor will be great on my duck rig. Thanks again.

robert graham

Admiral

You can take that black rubber pee hose loose from the fitting on the motor cylinder head and probe around inside the little elbow/fitting as well as be sure hose is open. Bugs, spiders, wasps,etc. like to build nests in the hoses also.