Yamaha 40, adding electric start?

mallardjusted

Seaman
Is it possible to add an electric start to a 40 hp Yamaha 4-stroke rope-starter, or are the costs high enough (if at all possible) that a new or different motor should be considered.<br /><br />I like my Yamaha, but I'm having rotator cuff problems that are severely aggravated by starting the motor.<br /><br />Now if I could only train my chocolate lab to start the motor!!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 40, adding electric start?

it can be done I belive but the kit cost is staggering.<br /> have your dealer look in the rigging guide

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

another option is to search for a junker withall the parts you need. mainly the starter, flywheel(if yours doesnt have a ring gear), and the starter solenoid + wiring.

mallardjusted

Seaman

After much research, I decided to go with a new motor. As long as I was having to spend some more money, I decided to go with a 50 vs a 40 hp outboard. I had narrowed it down between the Tohatsu/Nissan TLDI 50 and Yamaha 4 stroke 50. Since I need a tiller on my duck boat I went with the Yamaha (Tohatsu doesn't have a tiller kit - all the parts would have to be ordered separately!!!).<br /><br />The nice thing on the Yamaha is I get the electric start, tiller, elec trim and tilt, and a 5 year warrantly. I've been very happy with my Yamaha 40 (other than the manual start), so this should work out fine. Thanks for the advice.