yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 - remote starting/shifting

taylormade

Cadet
i have a 9.9 electric start tiller arm 4 stroke yamaha.....i want to add the remote starting and throttle/shift remote to it and remove the tiller arm....ive looked all over the net and cant seem to find a product that exists ... i know it exists ...has anyone here added this feature and where did you get your information about it....<br /><br />i do have a extra set of yamaha controls that came off a 40 hp....do i just need the smaller cables and the connector to the motor ? if so where do i find this....<br /><br />i was frustrated with the yamaha dealer that i asked about this ...and she just referred to it as being too much money to do and that was it... any help would be appreciated thank always , jim

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 - remote starting/shifting

the kit is in the rigging guide, you can use the same cables if the length is correct. the control box may need modification. the kit is very expensive for what it is, by the time your done its easy to spend 600 in parts.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

you have a control box which is the major cost to change from tiller to forward. the hookup kit is fairly inexpensive and any yamaha dealer worth the dirt the building is built on will flip straight to the page in the accesories/rigging guide. the other large cost is 33c type cables are about 50 bones a piece. <br />lastly you need to determine the control box you have is push or pull to open and if that matches your outboard

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Taylormade <br /><br />If you are successful please let me know. I have an '89 9.9 and it came with a boat I bought, it had no tiller, just the end with the throttle, shifter, and kill button on it and 6 foot cables. The thing has had it and needs replacing. I figure it must have been designed for a sailboat where you just keep the outboard centered and use the rudder.<br /><br />Maybe you would be interested in selling your tiller assembly? Where do you live?

taylormade

Cadet

thanks all for your replies i will post my results when i go to the dealer again tomorrow or friday... and thanks again...=)