Yamaha 200HP Ignition Switch Replacement

bayernstern

Recruit
Hello, I am new on here (and this is my first post)... Concisely, I need to replace an ignition switch on a 1993 Yamaha P200TLRR (2-Stroke, 200HP). My ignition switch is brittle and no longer works properly. Do you know what is the correct replacement part for it? Alternatively, can I use the newer version of the Yamaha ignition swtich with the push-in choke? I tried to find the 1993 Yamaha Rigging Guide, but was not successful in the process...
I spoke to Yamaha at length today and they were very helpful, but they pointed me in the direction of their current catalog (specifically, P/N 704-82570-12-00). Per the picture I am posting, my engine switch panel does indeed have a separate choke switch (as my outboard is carbureted). Not sure if the current Main Switch P/N 704-80510-07-00 (which has a push choke feature) would work in my case (not sure if the connectors, harness and pins are compatible). In other words, I am unsure if the push choke would simply replace my stand alone choke switch. Also, the P/N 704-80510-07-00 has a socket/connector that I am unsure that I presently have (something I will need to confirm once my panel is taken apart). Alternatively, I found P/N 703-82510-44-00 (and other variants, e.g. P/N 703-82510-42-00 and 703-82510-43-00) that may work. The Sierra P/N that corresponds to Yamaha's P/N 703-82510-44-00 is the MP51040. While I was at it, checked the P/N for the lanyard kill switch and that is 682-82556-00-00.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide! :)

Attachments

• Picture 2 - Ignition Switch (small).jpg
    Picture 2 - Ignition Switch (small).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The push to choke key switch assembly will work just fine with your motor.

Are you looking for just the key switch or the key switch panel assembly?

I am guessing that you have a top mounted 704 control box. Why would you want a 703 prefix switch assembly that is designed for the 703 side mount control box?

bayernstern

Recruit
Hello, thank you for all the help... Immensely appreciated. To clarify, my boat has 703 type side mount control box. I would be interested in replacing the ignition switch by itself or even the whole key panel assembly (so long the push choke is compatible with the plugs, connectors, pins that I currently have). Would it be possible for someone to post the part lists for the 703 side control box too? Thanks again.

Last edited:

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Well now I am confused.

The 703 control box has an integrated key switch. And kill switch. Your photo shows a standalone key switch panel.

bayernstern

Recruit
Well now I am confused.

The 703 control box has an integrated key switch. And kill switch. Your photo shows a standalone key switch panel.
Hello boscoe99, thank you so much for all your help. Immensely apprecited! I have a Yamaha type 703 control box without integrated ignition switch and without the integrated kill switch. In my boat the ignition swtich, choke switch and lanyard / kill switch is standalone (separate). It is a 1993 MasterCraft (Barefoot 200) ski boat and it came from the factory like that. Everything is original, including the outboard (a Yamaha P200TLRR). I am trying to figure out what are the part numbers that I need to: a) either replace the ignition swtich in my current panel, or; b) replace the entire ignition switch panel (so long it is compatible with my existing harness/connectors/pins). Thanks again!

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Post a photo of your control box please.

Might not matter however. The key switch for a the panel is what matters. Remove your key switch and see if the configuration is the same as the latest key switch.

bayernstern

Recruit
Post a photo of your control box please.

Might not matter however. The key switch for a the panel is what matters. Remove your key switch and see if the configuration is the same as the latest key switch.
Hello boscoe99, thanks again for all your help and expertise. I think that you're right. I need to take my ignition switch apart to make sure that I get the correct replacement... Have a good weekend!