Yamaha 2 stroke -

No more boats

Seaman
Moderator said service manuals will help
Will they s walk you through basic understanding of 2 stoke 250 hp motor ,
yamaha engine is new for me , coming from Mercruiser & Volvo
Know zilch about OBs , generally preform my own repairs cars , boats , and within weeks will become familiar with this engine , until this happens I am asking questions ,
My fishing buddy can give me a crash coarse on Yamaha engine but for my own knowledge need something too refer too
No serial numbers on this engine , On clamps both sides there is a tag but cant read ,
anything numbers inside ?
all I know its a 2000 - 2001 Yamaha 250 - 2 stroke
Cant find model number or something indicate what model ,
Opening cowl I can see numbers on parts , can these numbers zero in on engine model ,
thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It’s either a HPDI or a OX66 Saltwater series.
Should either say High Pressure Direct Injection (HPDI) or saltwater series on the cowling

Last edited:

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Yamaha service manuals are written for a trained Yamaha outboard motor mechanic. They offer virtually no theory of operation. All but useless for the novice mechanic.

See what you can find on the motor with respect to letters and numbers. The main engine harness may have a white tag near the ten pin connector that will provide a part number. The CDI box or the ECU should have some letters and numbers. What are they.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
If you find a part number on a part that you know what it is, I'd search for that part number on the internet and it might tell you what year model it is. Just a thought. I do that sometimes when I shop for the part on the yamaha website and then shop for it online to see if I can buy it cheaper somewhere else. Amazon is a good site to visit.