Yamaha 150 v 150 eTec on the same boat

Kachadurian

Seaman Apprentice
I have been planning on buying a boat with a 150 eTec and just found the exact boat but with a F150 Yamaha. I can save a boatload of cash if I just buy the Yamaha boat.

I didn't really want a 4-stroke mostly for the extra weight and also for the lesser hole shot, but also because I don't want a the oil changes.

Same boat new with 150 eTec $34,000 / New, but off the dealer's lot with F150 Yamaha $28,000

Please tell me I'm crazy and there not much difference and that 150HP is 150HP and that the Yamaha is a great engine. And to just shut up and buy the boat.

Tom

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 150 v 150 eTec on the same boat

You answered your own question. You're already unsatisfied with the 4 stroke. Obviously you already know not all 150's are created equal.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Why 6K difference. Should be about 2K difference, using Ed's Marine Superstore as a price reference. 6K is a huge amount of money. Buy the Yamaha - I did and don't regret it.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Throw this message in the Yamaha forum and everyone will tell you to get it. Throw it in the Evinrude forum and everyone will tell you it's worth the $6k.

I love Yamaha and their motors. I can talk them up all day. If you're stuck on the eTec, then call around to other dealerships and see if you can find one. It may be this dealer just wants to dump a boat cheap to get some money in his pocket, which is great for you. But one thing I can guarantee is that there is not a $6k difference in those 2 motors.

Call other dealerships - even 250 miles away from you. Do you homework, and if you're going to save $6,000, buy the Yamaha and spend the other $6k on a really nice vacation! :)

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a no brainer. 6k less for a reliable Yamaha... go for it!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Unless you on the water every day a few oil changes is not a big deal. I looked at smaller ETEC and compared the the Yahama of a simular size. The lighter weight does mean more speed.

If I was going to do it I would go with the 4 stroke Yahama or Honda. Main reason is I lifted the cover on the ETec and after a few minutes just could not belive all the hoses and wireing. I just figured to complicted for me to do myself. Then again I still perfer an I/O.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I would also make sure the two boats are line-item to line-item identical. You may not actually be comparing apples to apples. You might also ask about the build date for the Yamaha motor. Since Yamaha and others do not go by model year any more, that motor may be a couple years old. New - yes. But still a couple years old. What's the difference you ask? Well -- two years.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as Silvertip said, make sure both boats are alike. if so I'm a Evinrude fan, but $6,000 would be a big persuasion. think i would have to go Yammy, by the way i love not hearing them idle at the dock.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

got two friends with almost identical setups yamaha 150 4 stoke
and e tec 150 ho been and have drven both the boats
i like them both because i cant afford either one .
but hands down the etec is faster and more resposive .
just depends on what you want . see if you can find someone that will let you ,test run one with the different motors . not easily done
the dealer here has a big lake in front of dealer ship
his brother sells yamaha and he sells evinrude ,
any way it goes good luck and make them deal .on the price
theres a big market out there .
bennyb

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a personal fan of the etec....but with that said, if everything is identical then save the 6 grand. Although, I will say dad just bought a new Ranger z20 with the 225ho etec and it fly's....we ran the same boat with the 250 verado(mercs 4stroke) no contest. Whether it's the same with the yamaha vs etec I don't know, but from what I understand you give up some performance with the 4stroke.

Ps...but it sounds like you have your mind made up. It doesn't matter if you save 10 grand if your not happy with the boat you will always regret it.