Yamaha 115 V4 Salt Water Series Running very smokey

acb198

Recruit
Hi just started my 2001 Yamaha outboard and it started smoking properly. It’s run rich on cold start ups before but has quickly cleared. This time it was pluming smoke not straight out of the gate but about 2 minutes after start up. I had run earlier in the day with a good solid run with no issues. Any ideas?

acb198

Recruit
Hi just started my 2001 Yamaha outboard and it started smoking properly. It’s run rich on cold start ups before but has quickly cleared. This time it was pluming smoke not straight out of the gate but about 2 minutes after start up. I had run earlier in the day with a good solid run with no issues. Any ideas?
Looks like a sheen on the water as well. Unburnt fuel? Oil?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
First thing I'd do is pull the plugs to determine if it's a problem with an individual cylinder(s) or a systems (oiling) problem.
If nothing obvious shows up, run a compression test.
Nothing there I'd look for a fuel or vacuum leak. Either will cause over oiling

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Tank is overfilled. In which case it drains into the intake system.

Also, the link attachment mechanism is known to get old and break. In which case the oil pump will default to the maximum oil setting.

acb198

Recruit
Tank is overfilled. In which case it drains into the intake system.

Also, the link attachment mechanism is known to get old and break. In which case the oil pump will default to the maximum oil setting.
Thanks Boscoe yup hopefully just a sticky float switch that got stuck and kept oil pump going. Every time I tilted motor and then dropped to restart I noticed a sound that I now know is the oil pump from reservoir to tank under cowelling cover. I took that out and moved it around and tested for low level and high level and seems to be good, but the Plastic filter surrounding float switch was sitting low and wonder if float was catching on it in tank. Now when I tilt and drop down pump doesn’t kick in.

your other suggestion of the oil injection arm seems a common problem but I don’t think in this case as not smoking all the time and running really rich all the time.

It’s interesting that tank on high level seems to dump excess oil in engine to be burnt. Not many mechanics seem to know that which is weird but seems to be known by guys who actually own the engine and have fault found

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
How the oil transfer system works, a simple system really, is the number one reason that wanna be master mechanics fail their test.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

That model counts with a mechanical or electronic oiling system ?

Happy Boating​