Yamaha 115 Stall

tomn3

Seaman
Old post - renamed

Hi All,
We've had our new to us 2005 Sea Pro 190 CC for 3 months now. Yamaha 115 4 stroke EFI. No problems till today.
After a day of fishing and island hopping I was pulling away from the fishing spot. After slow speed(Manatee Zone) at ~ 1000 rpm I punched it to ~5000 rpm. It rev'ed for a moment or two then bogged down, dropped rpm and stalled. I was able to restart(slight increase in crank time). Ran the rpm up slowly out of gear to around 3000. Seemed ok. Dropped back to idle and it sat at 8-900 rpm. Put it in gear and ran slowly up to 3000 for a while and slowly built to 5000 at around 25 mph. Wasn't wide open but we've hit 32mph on a choppy day.
Never an issue with this motor till today. Do EFI's flood? In the past I've always ramped rpm in stages. This was the first time I really hit it. Or is it fuel starved? Filters? Replaced the 10 micron filter recently and fot 20 gallons of new marine fuel before the trip.

Thoughts?

Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 115 Stall

Have the fuel pressure monitored while problem is happening

tomn3

Seaman

Thanks,
I've seen this mentioned before but how do I do this. Can this be done in a work cradle, in neutral, or does it need to be under load? Are there some easy checks first, like filters, etc? I haven't tried to repeat it yet, just wanted to make port safely.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If the problem is happening in gear, under load on the water, then that is when and how you should be testing it. It may be best to have it checked out by a good Yamaha tech with the proper tools and equipment
You can replace everything in the fuel system to see if that will help, but it would be easier and less costly to test things and the replace,clean, adjust, etc. what is causing the problem

Definately check fuel pressure and proper fuel pressure regulator operation. On EFI motors the electronics are calibrated to properly working mechanical devices i.e. proper fuel pressure at all throttle angles.