Yamaha 115 4-stroke tach install

SRS15

Recruit
I recently bought a new boat with a Yamaha 115 4-stroke that didn't come with gauges. I want to add either the Yamaha digital or analog tach. Will the connections be available at the control (704 binnicle control)? Will there be a wiring diagram or instructions included with the tach? Any help or advice is appreciated.

nanoa

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 115 4-stroke tach install

If you buy Yamaha factory instruments they are all plug and play so to speak they also come with complete instructions. If you have any problems plenty of help on this forum. I just installed a multifunction tach on my yamaha 115 2004 it was very simple just a little time consuming running the wire.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you will need the tach kit, it should have the harness from the engine to the helm and the power harness from the ign switch pigtail to the tach/guage assy. once you have the correct parts its all plug and play, the tach will have a tag with instructions on checking that the tach dip switches are set correctly.<br /> all the wiring is color coded.<br /> while your at the dealer ask them to copy the pertanant pages from the 04 rigging manual.

SRS15

Recruit

do you know if the Yamaha digital tach comes as a kit with the harness, or is the tach harness a separate kit? My boat has the 704 binnacle control and the ign switch at the console. There's a pigtail from the innition harness that has red, green, yellow, and black available. I'm assuming I can only connect the analog tach to this pigtail?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

red is constant 12V power,green is tach signal also known as send, yellow is key on 12+ and black is ground. it will be used for either tach but you have to have the harness from the pigtails to the guages or make one. the other harness is from the engine 4 pin connector to the tach, i cant remember whats in the kit but the rigging guide lists the kit and the contents.<br /> I just rig them, its rare I order parts for new stuff.<br /> so I dont pay attention to contents or prices I just fix em and rig them, its not my money so money is no concern :) :) .<br /> man what a job:)

nanoa

Cadet

If you are considering buying a guage I would recommend the yamy multifunction tach it inludes rpm hour meter reset trip over heat trim and low oil depending on model I installed one and love it. It will cost you but a lot of bang for the buck

SRS15

Recruit

witty, did your digital multifunction tach come with a harness?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

like I say, look in the rigging guide and it lists the kit and the kit contents, I cant remember minutea I just know in which manuals to look it up.

SRS15

Recruit

Found out that you have to buy the multifunction tach kit to get the harness. If you need the harness, you have to make sure you're buying the kit(gauge and harness). Some actually sell the kit cheaper than just the gauge. Thanks for helping.

nanoa

Cadet

When i bought my guage I did not realize that the 2004 and newer motors needed an additional harness to work with any yamaha multifunction guage that was 2004 or older I believe the updated the guage in 2004 to work with the 2004 and newer motors not sure but I think that is the way it works maybe someone else knows for sure

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and there again the 05 marine technical guide gives all the required info. from 05 models on the wire harness is different than 04 and below. the 6y5-8350t-81-00 tach will require adapter #6y5-85335-00-00 to work with 05 and up motors.<br /> the -82 tach will work on 05 and up with no adapter. and yes by some obscene quirk of the bean counters the Kit is usually 100 bucks or so less than the tach itself.