Yahmaha 200 TXRP Thermostat Question

prolineguy

Cadet
Rebuilding motor and Getting ready to re-assemble '91 Yamaha 200 .<br />Is it necessary to install the thermostats ?<br />Live in Florida and run in the Gulf .I am concerned about the thermostats sticking from the saltwater corrosion . Also, does anyone know of an easy way to adjust the 3 2-barrel carbs for optimum performnace.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yahmaha 200 TXRP Thermostat Question

naw tstats and pressure valves are excess junk, just think of it as weight savings, while your at it toss all the fuel filters and alarm horns.<br /> easiest way to set the carbs is as per the service manual.<br /> never seen corroded t-stats on a WELL maintained rig.

prolineguy

Cadet

I take it the t-stats are absolutely needed for temp control... the flywheel is kinda heavy..maybe I can toss that too?<br />lol<br />thanks anyway for your help and quick reply

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yes, that motor is very happy running as designed, the t-stats not only keep the engine at the proper temps for efficient combustion but aid in keeping the block full of water at the correct pressure.<br />keep it maintained and water pumps dont fail and t-stats dont corrode.<br />they only fail if you run it till it quits. the object is run it a year then replace it long before it fails.